A Conversation for The Reluctant Gaijin in Japan: Letters and Drinking

Fascinating

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

I had no idea there were so many different ways of writing something down. smiley - bigeyes

It must make things very difficult.

Look forward to read more. smiley - smiley

Bel

smiley - somersault


Fascinating

Post 2

toybox

Yes, a fascinating account indeed smiley - cheers


Fascinating

Post 3

Awix

Well, the reason that hiragana exists is to make life bearable for kids for the 5-6 years it takes them to learn the 2000 basic kanji - so on train plaforms etc there'll be the name of the station in kanji for adults, hiragana for kids and romaji for foreigners (in descending order of importance, obviously).

Who are you working for, Gaijin? Is NoVacations still running? Have you fallen into the grasp of Mr Shane?


Fascinating

Post 4

Elentari

That was very interesting, thanks!


Fascinating

Post 5

The_Reluctant_Gaijin

I'll get to the job later, Awix, there's a few more confusing things to figure out and, er, explain, first...


Fascinating

Post 6

elekragheorgheni

I had always thought that a high pressure high context location like Japan would be a horror to live in, if you weren´t a person who studied it academically. Sorry you are there! Please tell us more.


Fascinating

Post 7

Awix

I feel like I'm hijacking somebody else's column here so this is the last contribution I'll make... but I found living in Tokyo absurdly stress-free. Everything there seems designed to make life easier for the locals who have a really tough time juggling work and personal etiquette. As a gai-jin you don't have to worry about getting the social niceties exactly right (the locals know you are an uncultured barbarian and make allowances) but you can still enjoy the cheap restaurants, wonderful public transport, endless museums and art galleries, etc...


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Reluctant Gaijin in Japan: Letters and Drinking

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more