Kew Garden's Important Trees

0 Conversations

Introduction.

Kew is home to many important trees and plants, as well as being a leading centre for exploration, conservation and identification. Within Kew Gardens, however, are some exceptional plants, particularly trees. These are split into two classifications, “The Old Lions” and the Heritage Trees.

“The Old Lions” is the name given to the few remaining trees from the original plantings in the then newly created 5 acre Kew arboretum in 1762. This was laid out by William Alton, close to the Orangery with plants from the Duke of Argyll’s estate at Whitton. William Alton was the uncle of Lord Bute, the botanical advisor to Princess Augusta who founded the gardens.

They are:

Caucasian Elm - Zelkova carpinifolia. This plant is sited close to Brentford gate, but is not accessible to the general public.

False Acacia - Robinia pseudoacacia. This plant is opposite the secluded garden, close to the Princess of Wales' conservatory.

Maidenhair Tree - Ginkgo biloba. This plant is opposite the secluded garden, close to the Princess of Wales' conservatory.

Oriental Plane - Platanus orientalis. This is situated by the Orangery in front of Kew Palace.

Pagoda Tree - Sophora japonica. This plant is opposite the secluded garden, close to the Princess of Wales' conservatory.

Kew also has some of the best examples of trees from around the world dating back to the early 18th century. Some were the first examples to be planted in the UK.

They are:

English oak - - Quercus robur. It is situated on the East bank of the main lake, 100 m West of the Sackler crossing.

Holm oak - - Quercus ilex. A number can be found lining the Syon Vista, with many new trees having been planted in the Autumn of 2008 to redefine the Vista and make it more impressive for the future.

Chestnut-leaved Oak - Quercus castaneifolia. This tree is situated behind the water-lily house and was planted in 1846, probably from one of the first batch of seeds to arrive in the UK.

The Lucombe Oak - Quercus x hispanica ‘lucombeana’. This tree is situated behind the Palm House' Rose garden, just to the South of Syon Vista.

Turner’s Oak - Quercus x turneri. This specimen is located slightly North West of the rear of the Princess of Wales' conservatory.

Indian Horse Chestnut - Aesculus indica ‘Sidney Pearce’. This tree is situated in front of the Nash conservatory, by the Main Gate on Kew Green.

Sweet Chestnut - Castanea sativa. This tree is by the King William Temple, adjacent to the Mediterranean garden.

Corsican, or black, pine - Pinus nigra ssp laricio. This tree is situated midway between the Main Gate and the footpath leading to the Duke's garden.

Stone Pine - Pinus pinea. This specimen is found on the footpath close to the Duke's garden.

Tulip Tree - Liriodendron tulipifera. This tree is situated close to the Azalea garden, although two other specimens can be found at the start of the Broad Walk, by the Ornamental lake.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A61209632

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more