Answer 42 - Triskaidecimal

0 Conversations

6 x 9 = 42 in Triskaidecimal.

What is Triskaidecimal?

Its a numbering system similar to hexadecimal. Often confused with a base three number system Triskaidecimal is based on a 13 figure numbering system. Numbers 1-9, A-C.

Its a Prime and a Fibonacci number.


Why Triskaidecimal?

Since antiquity members of esotetic sects have revered and feared the number 13. Friday the 13th, the unlucky number, bakers dozen, the 13th Disciple, 13 cards in a suit.

It may be that the numbering system came about from ancient priests who took that the common man used 10 fingers, 5 on each hand, but the adept had extra 'magical' unseen fingers for some form of mystical ability. A combination of 10 representing man and 3 for the trinity.

Did Douglas Adams unknowingly tap into this principle behind the universe by drawing words and plots out of his mind at random. Allowing the world around him to shape an answer? How many of us can fit some of our lives into the plots and twists, trying to make sure we don't miss the window.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A6115097

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more