Illogical Humour and Timing

0 Conversations

Many of us have heard these jokes and are still unable to explain why they are sometimes funny, and sometimes not.

Jokes like -

Q: "Why did the Koala fall out of the tree?"
A: "It was dead."

Followed by.

Q: "Why did the Kangeroo die?"
A: "A Koala fell on it."

Such jokes have no real amusement content but they are often funny because they aren't expected, or we're heavily intoxicated at the time.

Other people believe everything about these jokes is about timing. The above jokes by themselves aren't amusing at all, but when done at the right time, become side-splitters.

Unfortunately, the 'Right Time' occurs less than once a month, and even then its still hard to pull off.

Other strange jokes:

Q: "Why did the boy fall off his bike?"
A: "He was hit by a fridge."

Q: "Why did the women drop her lollipop?"
A: "She was hit by a bus."

Timing in jokes is an ancient art which many simply will never be able to perfect.

The art of Joke Timing is all about what is happening at the time, and the delay between the question and the answer. A person should only *just* have enough time to wait for the answer, because if you fail to wait long enough, they don't have enough time to think about it, and if you do it too late, they fail to care.

Conversation added by U206704:

Q: Why did the koala fall out of the tree?
A: It was dead.

Q: Why did the second koala fall out of the tree?
A: It was holding onto the first one.

Q: Why did the third koala fall out of the tree?
A: Peer pressure.

Q: Why did the fourth koala fall out of the tree?
A: It had a grand piano tied to it's foot.

Q: Why did the fifth koala fall out of the tree?
A: It got hit by the piano stool.

Q: Why the did the kangaroo drop dead?
A: It was hit by five koala's and a grand piano.

Conversation added by U204255:

Q: How do you make a dog drink?
A: Put it in a blender.

Q: How do you get 4 elephants into a mini?
A: 2 in the front and 2 in the back of course.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A6072536

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more