A Conversation for The Ultimate Martial Art

A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 41

Hoovooloo

Thanks for that, Waz! Pretty much rests the case I'd say. Anyone who disagrees...

>disappears, cloud of dust remains...<

smiley - winkeye

H


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 42

Hoovooloo

Added link to an entry up for PR on pacifism. Check it out...

H


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 43

Playboy Reporter

I like the idea for the entry smiley - biggrin

I have studied two types of martial arts - Kempo Bushido Ryu and Tai Kwon Do.

Kempo emphasized hand techniques but I found out I was no damn good and dropped out after reaching yellow belt. smiley - pumpkin

Lator I took up Tai Kwon Do which emphasizes kicking. Contact in sparring was allowed here, where as in Kempo the sparring was non-contact.

Any way, one day the instructor decided to get a group of us to simultaneously attack a black belt as a demo - he kicked the snot out of me. I also attended a tournamnet out of town where practically every one at my club had the snot kicked of them as well. Any way, I finally gave it away after realizing I was crap (I reached yellow belt again) smiley - pumpkin

I think the entry needs to include some more info about real martial arts and their philosophies - you know that avoiding conflict so you won't have to fight is supposed to be a part of the philosophy.

Also at the end, I'm not sure about the Sun Tzu quote. I think he meant that in order for non-conflict to count as a 'win' that party still has to get what they want.

But over-all I like the entry. smiley - cheers


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 44

Hoovooloo

Two points:

1. The main point here was to be humourous, but with a message. I don't want to say anything much here about real martial arts - that's why I've included links to *every* *single* Edited entry in the guide which deals with that subject. There's no link to Kempo or TKD because there are no Edited entries - perhaps you could do them?

2. In the same chapter, Sun Tzu goes on to say "...the art of using troops is this: when ten to the enemy's one, surround him. When five times his strength, attack him. If double his strength, divide him. If equally matched, you may engage him with some good plan. If weaker numerically, be capable of withdrawing. And if in all respects unequal, be capable of eluding him, for a small force is but booty for one more powerful if it fights recklessly." In a real fight, it is surely always better to assume that you are weaker numerically (you never know who's round the corner) - hence: Run-Lak Fekh!

smiley - smiley
H


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 45

LL Waz

Technique 1 - "The all-seeing eye"
If you run fast enough you can see round corners. Hence: Run-Lak Fekh! again.




A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 46

Hoovooloo

Just thought I'd chuck in that if anyone does want to write an entry on any other martial arts I'd make sure there were links to them here. Speaking personally I'd be interested to read about origins, rules, conventions, philosophies etc. for Tai Chi, Savate, Tae Kwon Do (which, btw, is not spelled like "Tai Chi", but like India Spagoe - "with an 'e'" - (apologies to non-listeners of Radio 4's 'Sunday Format', although on second thoughts, no, if you're a non-listener with a computer there's no excuse, LISTEN TO IT, IT'S FUNNY!) - blimey that went off topic) Kendo and Jujitsu (particularly in the latter case its relationship with Judo?).

Just reflecting this weekend on the wisdom of doing a good natured p**s-take out of a group of people whose sole unifying trait is there extensive training in inflicting pain...

smiley - winkeye

H


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 47

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

Up until a motorbike accident, I used to teach Tai Chi. I was also a "Closed Door Disciple" which meant I had proper access to Chinese teachers.

I hereby undertake to write an article on Tai Chi within the next month or so. Any interested parties please discuss on my Home Page.

smiley - cheers


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 48

Hoovooloo

Top stuff, I'm looking forward to it!

I've updated the entry slightly, changed the originator's name to more correctly reflect oriental name conventions and made it a bit clearer that as with many Japanese martial arts (I always want to type the word "marital" there...) the word "Sensei" is an honorific variously translated as "teacher", "master", "knowledgable one", etc.

I've also added a reference to technique 1a, for the *complete* beginner. This technique should *not* be attempted while wearing the usual martial arts get-up of white pyjamas. If you really must train in this technique, try to get hold of some brown trousers you don't like much...

ThanKZ

H


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 49

David Conway

Yep, Better, more realistic name.

I'm not really sure that the addition of 1a is an improvement. It's funny, but is it relevant to the main point of your entry? It seems to dilute the emphasis of "know when to leave."


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 50

Witty Ditty

smiley - laugh
smiley - laugh
and smiley - laugh

Yes, this is great - I would love to see this in the edited guide!

As a note of support, in writing another entry (blowing ones own personal trumpet - sorry), I found that this was the best explanation for the non-confrontational approach. Brilliant!

Stay smiley - smiley,
WD


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 51

Hoovooloo

Thanks NBY. I really like 1a - the words were too funny not to use, much like Go Tugo-Nao/Gotugo Nau. It is a bit of a distraction, hence use in a footnote, but this is one of those gags which once I became aware of it (winKZ smiley - winkeye) was just too good to pass up. I take your point, but my primary aim here was to be humourous. There are other aims, and aims within aims, but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

As for WD42 - like that entry, and thanks for the link!

H


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 52

David Conway

H,

I agree that the words are great. As for the wheels within wheels, gotta agree with the wheeLZ I see turning in your mind.


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 53

Witty Ditty

Hiya!

No probs; just supporting a great entry smiley - ok

* smiley - winkeye

Stay smiley - cool,
WD

*The closest translation for this term would be:

'To let flow henceforth, the golden tears of mirth'


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 54

Hoovooloo

This is:

1. A blatant attempt to remind people about this

2. An honest request for any additional input, other quotes or suggestions for links?

smiley - cheers
H


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 55

Hoovooloo

Well it's been three weeks... see post 11 for why I think this meets all ten guidelines. Any charitable Scouts about?

H.
smiley - cheers


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 56

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Personally, I'd like to see the 'Saturating the place with your absence' quote in the entry.

Anyway, it's not lack of charity from the Scouts' part but rather from the Towers' part - we're not getting as much picks as we would want to have smiley - erm


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 57

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

Yes, yes, get it in. Get it in Soooooon smiley - smiley

(As the actress said to the bishop)


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 58

Hoovooloo

"saturating" quote is in. Any more comments?

H.


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 59

il viaggiatore

Good! You should follow this up with an entry on "The Ultimate Marital Art".


A600085 - The Ultimate Martial Art

Post 60

Captain Kebab

I read this a couple of weeks ago, thought it was great but didn't have any fresh insights - now I have one question - why hasn't this been picked up for the Edited Guide yet?


Key: Complain about this post