A Conversation for How to Star Gaze

Writing Workshop: A599420 - A little something on star gazing.

Post 1

JadedGoddess

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A599420

Ummm. Ok, this is my first attempt to write anything for the guide and I really have no clue if I did ok or not. I would love any critism you could give me. Thanks.


A little something on star gazing.

Post 2

She of the fantastic club swinging

Hi there

I am new here to. Your intro seems fine to me. I can just see you living all those miles away by a tree and gazing at the stars. Looked out of the window and it is not quite dark enough here to see the stars, maybe later.


A little something on star gazing.

Post 3

Ommigosh

Looks OK to me but I am very new to writing guide entries too.

There are quite a few spelling mistakes which have crept in, though. A simple spellchecker (like in MS Word or something similar) would show them up for you.

Also in your second paragraph you say "then have at it". Is that a common phrase? I am unfamiliar with it. (UK English spoken by me).

You give lots of good and sensible practical advice on how to go stargazing but it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a section on why people might want to. You could include bits on beauty, awe, wonder, immensity etc instead of a single line describing stars as "shiny dots".

Well done.
A stargazer called Ommigosh


A little something on star gazing.

Post 4

Ommigosh

Oops, just noticed that you have some bits written in the first person which is something we are told to avoid.

Sorry


A little something on star gazing.

Post 5

xyroth

I would suggest a sun lounger rather than an inflatable matress, as it gives you much more control over position, while at the same time being much easier to set up. Also, you can keep it in the boot of your car, and if you pass a dark site at night you can just pull over, set up the lounger, and look at the sky.


A little something on star gazing.

Post 6

xyroth

you might also want to mention the h2g2 astronomical society, whose url you can find by typing h2g2AS into the search box.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more