A Conversation for Bill Hicks

A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 1

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A592328

I submitted this article in the workshop, and it was suggested I put it up here.

Comments or suggestions, anyone?


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 2

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Hi smiley - smiley

Yepp, it will make into the Guide, and I said so before smiley - smiley

However, this may last a while, as there are many, many entries here, and only 25 per week get 'picked', that is: selected for inclusion.

In the meantime you could polish the GuideML (btw: congratulations on figuring out how it works! I always get tricked by the browser's cache which serves me an old version while editing). Well, ok: it looks better if you include the paragraphs in and (Para) tags, and I'd suggest you use the for the individual quotes -- that's it smiley - smiley

hope you get 'picked' soon smiley - ok

Bossel (Scout)


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 3

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

It's a good article, but it could stand to have some more commentary on the effect Bill Hicks had on the rest of the world. For example...

I first heard of Bill Hicks when I bought a "Tool" album ("Aenima") wherein he was mentioned. Apparently Mr. Hicks was really opposed to the existence of California in its current form; he though an Arizona Bay would be better. The title track of the album is devoted to that concept.


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 4

DoctorGonzo

It's good, but could maybe do with mre info to balance up the quotes. Perhaps his influence on people like Mark Thomas and Henry Rollins. (At least, I can see the influence smiley - smiley ) IMO, it needs more fact, less quotes

smiley - cheers

DG


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 5

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

"More Facts, less quotes". I had similar thoughts when I was writing this. But what more significant facts are there? The influence Bill had on Mark Thomas is a matter of Mark Thomas's opinion. (Incidentally, I wasn't aware that Mark acknowleged Bill as an influence.I'd like to think so, but...). And I don't even know who Henry Rollins is. Perhaps I could be educated by a kind person....

I KNOW that Bill Hicks is a major influence on my own comedy writing and performances, and I know why. I love the man. However, I don't want to bring my opinions into an edited article. Although I'll be more than happy to bare my soul in any conversations on this article, I want to keep the article itself free of my opinions.

It was my intention to present some basic facts about Bill Hicks, then present his views on a number of things. I didn't want to speculate, or to somehow dilute his ideas by saying "Listen to this guy, because so-and-so thinks he was good."

Do you see my dilemma?


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 6

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

Hicks actually released an album called "Arizona Bay". I've never listened to it, although I'm sure that his ideas of drowning Los Angeles were an offshoot to his existing ideas,and not an end in itself!?

I've posted further down the thread that Bill Hicks is a major influence on my own comedy performances, but I didn't want to flavour the article with my own opinions, and I didn't want to speculate about his influences on others. However, I will amend the article to include acknowledged credits by groups like Radiohead. Give me a day or two...


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 7

DoctorGonzo

Sure I do smiley - smiley

My suggestion was just that - a suggestion.
I'm not sure if Mark Thomas has said anything about Hicks - but what I do know is that Hicks wasn't really a comedian, at least not as I'd define one. Sure, he was funny, but it's more than that. His stand-up is more like spoken word - he doesn't waste any time on jokes, and the vast majority of what he talks about isn't inherently amusing. Do't get me wrong, I belly-laugh at damn near anything he says, but you take more than a couple of hours entertainment from his work.

Oh, and the other thing. Henry Rollins was the 'singer' in Black Flag, and now The (Henry?) Rollins Band. I'm no fan of his music, but he also does spoken word. Again, it's not stand-up, more a guy telling stories and making valid points about life, that happen to be funny. Don't expect the sheer vitriol of Hicks, but I recommend it.

smiley - cheers

DG


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 8

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

your amendmends... fine! smiley - smiley

Just one point: your paragraphs will look better if you enclose them with the Para tag:
contents_of_para_here.

smiley - ok

Bossel (Scout)


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 9

Hoovooloo

Tried to resist but I just can't help it. Since you mention Hicks' reputation as a "bad gig" and the trouble he got from audiences, can you find space for this?
"I had three guys come up to me after show. They kinda shoved me, you know, and biggest one says 'Hey, Mr. Comedian. We're Christians, and we don't like what you bin sayin bout the Lord'. I said 'Yeah? So forgive me.'"


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 10

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

Consider it done.


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 11

Hoovooloo

Wow! That was FAST! Unfortunately I missed out a "the" just before the word "show". My fault...


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 12

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

You can go right off some people... smiley - smiley


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 13

DoctorGonzo

tsk, who do you think you are - some kind of blimmin' comedian? smiley - winkeye

So, will you be appearing at the Edinburgh Fringe this year, like every other comic on the face of this earth?

DG


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 14

Hoovooloo

I think something else worth mentioning is Hicks' summary of what he felt on life, specifically "It's just a ride". I'm assuming, given your demonstrable mastery of the subject, that you know exactly what I'm on about. If not, ping back for more.


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 15

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

Firstly, no I'm not going to Edinburgh. I'm not yet properly established on the comedy circuit. Maybe next time.

I think I can get hold of the "Just a Ride" quote, and I agree it's a good idea to include it. Leave it with me...


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 16

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

Ok, the "Just a Ride" quote is in. I'm closing the book on any more quotes, unless they demonstrate Bill's thoughts in a way the article doesn't yet cover.

Cheers for the input, people.


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 17

Hoovooloo

Thanks for putting the "Just a Ride" material in - my hazy recollection was of something pretty good. I'd forgotten it was quite *that* good!

I'd suggest mentioning what he thought of New Kids on the Block, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer - but there's simply no way of going into that without an "18" rating! smiley - winkeye


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 18

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

"If you play New Kids on the Block backwards...they sound better"

What about Bill's comments on Jimi Hendrix v Debbie Gibson !!

You're right. I really can't put those quotes in...


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 19

Administrator-General (5+0+9)*3+0

I like the rewrite. I was thinking when I first read the quotes, "This stuff sounds a lot like Denis Leary..."


A592328 Bill Hicks

Post 20

Geoff Taylor - Life's Liver

Oops. The article's been sent for moderation. Maybe some of the quotes are a bit beyond the pale. I didn't think so, but obviously someone does smiley - sadface


Key: Complain about this post