Winter spicy tomato and lentil soup.

1 Conversation

Introduction.

This is a warming soup that is ideal after a long winter’s walk, when all thoughts turn to being curled up in front of a fire, and to lose the frost-nip on the end of the fingers and nose... It really hits the spot!

This recipe is warming and delicious. There have been some adjustments to make the soup recipe more rustic and spicy.

Serves 2-4 people depending on whether it is intended as a main course or starter.

Preparation time: 10 minutes.

Cooking time: 30 minutes.

Ingredients:

  • 2 x 14 oz (400gm) tins of tomatoes (ideally chopped).
  • 1 x 7 oz (200gm) tin drained sweetcorn. (optional)
  • 4 oz (100gm) quick-cook dry red lentils.
  • 1 chopped onion.
  • 2 crushed or finely chopped cloves garlic.
  • 1 vegetable stock cube.
  • 1 pt (560ml) water.
  • 2 tbsps1 (30ml) tomato puree.
  • 2 tbsps (30ml) oil (any form of vegetable oil is suitable).
  • 1-2 tbsps (15-30ml) chili powder (adjust to taste). Curry or mustard powder can also be used if preferred.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.

Method.

  1. Sweat2 the onions and garlic in the oil, adding the chili powder when translucent. Continue cooking for one minute.

  2. Meanwhile boil the water and add the stock cube.

  3. Add to the onions, garlic and chili, along with the other ingredients.

  4. Simmer for thirty minutes.

  5. Allow to cool and blend with a hand blender, preferably to a coarse consistency, but it can be blended to a cream if preferred.

  6. Re-heat and serve with a swirl of cream or butter and croutons on the top.It i delicious with warm, crusty, rustic, thick-cut bread wiped over with a raw clove of garlic. Delicious!

Lie back, snuggle up, and enjoy...

I double the ingredients and freeze it so I have it available after long winter walks in Kew Gardens.I just have to nuke it and 4 minutes later it is ready.
1Abbreviation for tablespoon.2Fry on a low heat until translucent.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A59214873

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more