Interaction with the retail industry, advice for customers.

3 Conversations

While the modern manners of workers in the retail industry can vary widely, so can the manners of customers, the very people they have to face day in day out. From my own experiances, a few tips to help.

1. Although retail wages are by many standards poor, it doesnt mean the retail assistants are stupid. Believe it or not, many shop assistants choose to do what they do.

2. On entering a shop, and in particular a large, multi floored one, stop and look around, get your bearings. This is usualy enough to help you find what you want, or get the attention of someone who can help. Stories of customers asking for an item they were stood next to are legion, and a staff room staple conversation.

3. When paying, unfold any bank notes as they invariably go flat in the till or counter-safe. Scrumpled ones are just rude. Count change out before handing it over. A heavy mess of coins just delays everyone. And most important of all, have your payment ready before you reach the front of the que (that usualy you ladies, sorry, but its true). Scrabling around in bags and pockets delays other customers and assistants.

4.Get off the mobile phone if you are at the checkout.

5. If the alarms go off as you are leaving, it's probably you that has set them off! It doesnt mean you are a thief (unless you are...), and nobody should treat you like you are. But looking dumbfounded is embarrasing. Just return to an assistant for help and resolution. Walking off into the street WILL catch the attention of security, and if you dont move back into the shop, away from the barriers, the alarm will go on indefinetly. Which will really get attention!

6. Although we are happy to tell you the shop opening hours, they are usually on the door. If you have a complicated query, are just browsing, or anything that will take longer than ten minutes, dont do it at one minute to closing. Likewise, hanging around outside waiting for the store to open, knocking or dramaticaly looking at your watch won't get the shop open quicker. We know what the time is thank you very much. Yes, we do have a life outside our work!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A5900339

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more