SVO &WVO diesel fuel

1 Conversation

Diesel engines at the 1900 World Fair were demonstrated running on peanut oil by Rudolf Diesel.
The problem with running diesel engines on vegetable oils (or animal fats) is that their viscosity is far higher at ambient temperatures than mineral diesel oil. The biodiesel methods overcome this by removing the most viscous portion of the oils. However clean, dry Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) can be used simply by heating the oil to around 60deg C at which temperature its viscosity matches that of normal diesel. This has the advantage of leaving in the chemicals that provide the best lubrication, a desirable element in diesel fuel. The lubricity of SVO exceeds that of both diesel oil and biodiesel.
Some diesel injection pumps are able to cope with the high viscosity of room temperature vegetable oils. There are numerous reports of German drivers of unmodified diesel Mercedes fuelling their cars with salad oil. And motoring happily. For some, however, injection pump failure and coking of injectors have occurred. Coking of engines has been reported in some trials. Whether the viscosity of the SVO was lowered by heating in these trials is unclear.

The environmental benefits of SVO are: low levels of heavy metals and low levels of sulphur giving lower levels of exhaust pollutants (excepting oxides of nitrogen), and carbon neutrality in that the CO2 released by the exhaust is equal to the amount of CO2 taken up by the growing plant to produce the oil.
The last point becomes problematical when the energy inputs and CO2 outputs for fertilizer, transport, processing and packaging are considered.
However for Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) these inputs occur irrespective of the final use, and so can be ignored when looking at the environmental cost.



Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A588837

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more