How not to be recognized as a tourist in ...

0 Conversations

If you live in an area that is sometimes crowded with tourists, you may feel the irresistible desire to run away and go somewhere else. But be aware: The old saying goes that everybody is a foreigner almost anywhere. And no matter where you go, you will be the foreigner, the intruder, the tourist, the one who has to be trapped. Native folks will sometimes change their usual behaviour dramatically as soon as you are identified to be a tourist. You may like that. You may even be able to romanticize all those folklore routines that are inevitable performed. But maybe you prefer to 'blend in', not to intrude, not to lose your incognito. Be warned: This is hard. It is sometimes impossible due to ethnic reasons. There are, however, some rules that might help you to avoid the worst mistakes, and maybe even to be mistaken for a native person by other tourists or even by native people (this is the holy grail).

Italy

  • Do not walk on the sunny side of the street. Only tourists do. All others will try to stay in the shadow.
  • If you are male, wear suit jacket, necktie and sunglasses. This will set an additional limit to the amount of 'typically tourist' gadgets you might otherwise be willing to carry. Do not wear sandals and white socks.
  • Avoid to go out during the 'siesta'. You may be anxious not to 'waste' a single moment of your more or less expensive holiday by sleeping during the mid-day / early aftermoon hours. But especially during the holiday season you will notice that lots of places that might be of interest (churches, museums, ...) are closed anyhow.

To be continued ...


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A585317

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more