A Conversation for Recanting - how asterisking embarrasing is that?

Short words

Post 1

Andy

Hi Ben

Very good, it's just a shame that your guide will never make it into the official guide. I can't remember who said it, but the true definition of bad language is words used inappropriately. And in some cases, only a swear word will do.

Did you know that in London (I think in the 17th Century) there was a C**t Street? This was christened back when the word was considered a fairly polite way of mentioning female genitals. Conversly, the anatomical term (vagina) was considered vulgar.

Finally, have you read the book English As A Second F**king Language? Can't remember who it's by, but I have a copy at home. Very funny it is too. I've read it about 50 times, so if you fancy it, I could probably send it to you.

Do these entries get asterisked?

Andy


Short words

Post 2

a girl called Ben

Hi Andy

I had forgotten about C**t Street in London... So very to the point, our ancestors. Terry Pratchett has some spoonerised version in Ankh Morpork, and I cannot remember what it was.

I would feel mean borrowing your book, let me see if I can track it down before you entrust it to a stranger.

Peta is putting this entry, plus a whole variety of other ones to the Powers behind the Towers soon, so we shall see what happens. I must tell her that I have a few changes to make. I really want to get your story in there.

Thanks for the words of encouragement

Ben


Short words

Post 3

Andy

Bizarrly, your entry has been censored but mine hasn't, yet.
Anyway, let me know how you get on finding the book. I'll post the ISBN number tonight or tomorrow, which should help if you want to search on Amazon or somewhere.

Andy


Short words

Post 4

a girl called Ben

Andy, thanks for the email.

I have just ordered some books from
[URL removed by moderator]
, so I will wait to add it to my next order.

Also, I suspect it is better than my entry (longer, more comprehensive, more researched) in which case I will just want to copy it wholesale, which would get me into more trouble with the Mods...

All the best

a*cB


Short words

Post 5

Andy

Let me know if you find anything interesting.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more