A Conversation for Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA

A572294 - Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA

Post 1

Jimi X

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A572294

A companion piece to an already recommended entry on the covered bridges of Perry County, this one is finally ready for prime time.

Submitted for your review. smiley - smiley

Cheers! smiley - ale

- Jimi X


A572294 - Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Jimi --

What on earth are you going to do when you run out of things to write about Pennsylvania? Pick up your family and move to a new state for fresh material? smiley - silly

Anyways, this is another good one, although it seems to have a few grammar hangups (examples follow).

1) "So rural is Perry County that it only received its first McDonalds franchise in the 1990s along with its first traffic signal."

Would be grammatically correct as "So rural is Perry County that it only received its first McDonald's franchise in the 1990s, along with its first traffic signal."

However, would be considerably easier to read as "Perry County is so rural that it did not receive its first traffic signal until the 1990s, about the same time the first McDonald's franchise moved in." OR "Perry County is so rural that it was not until the 1990s that it received its first traffic signal and McDonald's franchise."

2) "However the county is home to a dozen or so covered bridges which ae still open to traffic more than 100 years after their construction."

This may just be me, but I remember learning that you needed to have a comma preceding the which in this formation. Without the comma, "that" would be more grammatically correct than "which".

"However, the county is home to a dozen or so covered bridges that are still open to traffic more than 100 years after their construction."

Just my 2 cents....

smiley - smiley
Mikey


A572294 - Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA

Post 3

Jimi X

*pockets the 2 cents*

Woohoo! I'm getting paid to write for h2g2!!

*wonders when my name goes all itallics* smiley - winkeye

Good points all.

* Don't know why I went with that odd structure in #1 and I think I like the fourth option best - it's the most conversational.

* And as for commas. We don't need no stinking commas. smiley - winkeye I use 'which' a lot in the bureaucratic writing I'm forced to use at work and it sometimes slips into other stuff. I prefer 'that' and will make the change.

And as for moving my family - we've been living in this state since the 1770s. I don't reckon I'll run out of stuff anytime soon. smiley - devil

Perry County is a wonderful patch of 'wilderness' within a short drive of major cities. There's a real sense of unspoiled nature there and it's nice to drive out there and take a walk in the woods and forget about everything else for a while.

I started this entry first but got side-tracked on the whole covered bridges thing for a while. I'm just glad I got it done before wandering off in some new and unusual direction...

Thanks for the feedback!

- X


A572294 - Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Another winner, Jimi.smiley - smiley

Let's not leave Pennsylvania without an Entry on Johnstown. How about padding out my rather minimalist description of Pittsburgh (before someone else doessmiley - winkeye).

smiley - smiley

JTG


A572294 - Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA

Post 5

Jimi X

I could do a whole University project on the Great Flood. Not to mention that the Johnstown Chiefs were the basis for the Charlestown Chiefs in that classic hockey film 'Slapshot' starring Paul Newman.

Hmm - sounds like I've got the material, now to find the time... smiley - winkeye


A572294 - Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA - Congratulations!

Post 6

Global Village Idiot

Hi Jimi,

So, I went to the Italics and said "what this Guide needs is more entries about Pa." I actually meant my father, but they seemed to think I was keen on the state. Anyway, they said, "What about this piece from Jimi"? And I said "That? Okay, it'll have to do." So before I knew it your article was, like, approved, and you *know* what happens from there...

So, like, well done, man!

smiley - bubbly
GVI
smiley - winkeye


A572294 - Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA - Congratulations!

Post 7

Jimi X

Personally, I think your dear old dad is a natural for a Guide Entry - what with leaping tall buildings with a single bound and being faster than a speeding bullet...

However, if neglecting his inclusion into the guide for a few more weeks will get one on my entries in, so be it! smiley - ok

Thanks GVI!

Cheers! smiley - ale


Congratulations!

Post 8

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they have not been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Perry County, Pennsylvania, USA

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more