A Conversation for Buzzcocks - The Band

A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 1

Catwoman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A570520

Ever Fallen in Love? There's more to it than that. Buzzcocks were an English punk band that were responsible for nine chart singles and three LPs between 1977 and 1980. Inventors of 'new wave' punk. Inventors of 'indie' music. Inventors of speed drumming. They were certainly musically the best of the original UK punk bands and one of the most inspirational.


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 2

Catwoman

Some questions the gentle reader may wish to ponder while considering the above entry:

1. Is it too long?

2. Does it comment on the *music* of the band enough?

3. Are there enough interesting bits or does it just sound like I've swallowed a copy of the Guiness Book of Hit Singles?

4. Pictures. Added visual interest or a waste of time?

All comments gratefully received.

smiley - cat


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 3

kabads

Factually, it is a good read, but it could do with spicing up a bit- but this sometimes leads to a misrepresentation of the truth - it's striking a balance of interesting writing whilst keeping the facts there intact.

As for the blue hearts, they're not that good. If it were me, I would drop them, but then, that's just my opinion.

I like the way that you mention the influences that Buzzcocks placed on others - they were very influential.


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 4

Catwoman

I've added some stuff about Pete Shelley's increasing depression and how it related to the songs he wrote, and I've taken out some of the less interesting details. I may need to do this some more. Have also changed the pictures, though I'd still like to find some more to put in.

I'll look at it again with fresh eyes tomorrow. Until then, again any comments gratefully received.

smiley - cat


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 5

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

If i was you i would forget about the pictures as the editors will delete them anyway.

Is it too long...hmmm, perhaps, i would certainly take out the Recommended part and probably change the end to just say they had reformed briefly (they even toured Australia at one point) without too much other information...more as a footnote almost. I would even think about taking out the albums as paragraph headings.

Just a small point: the line about the Clash needs to be fixed up

I don't mean to sound negative as i quite liked the article and feel with a bit of work it should find its way into the guide.

Some other things to think about:

They supported The Clash on the White Riot Tour,

What were their influences? Bowie, Roxy Music, Velvet Underground, Beatles ???

Anyway feel free to ignore this at your leisure smiley - winkeye


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 6

Catwoman

Thanks for your comments and ideas. I have cut down the entry a bit since I originally posted it but it's a continuing process. I've been thinking along the same lines as you about the reformed Buzzcocks - it detracts from the original ('76-'81) band history - as you agree with me I'll certainly cut it down some more.

I also had in a mention of Shelley's love of the Velvet Underground but took it out as I felt it wasn't that important, but maybe you're right - it would provide some reference points for people who don't know Buzzcocks.

Anyhow, the fact that you've read the entry and taken the time to comment on it is much appreciated - Ta!

smiley - cat


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 7

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

No problem. I forgot to mention that Fast Cars is one of my faves - not that you need to mention it in the article.

I'm glad you agree, i think that period to '81 is definately the most interesting and important. I will come back and see how you are going once you have had a chance to play around with it some more smiley - smiley


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 8

Catwoman

I've had a slight rethink about the latter part of Buzzcocks career. I read an entry in PR a while back about Marillion post-1988 that had been written because the existing h2g2 entry only concerned the early years of the band. If I cut out too much of Buzzcocks latter years then someone (maybe me) will one day write an entry titled 'Buzzcocks - Post 1981'. Also, considering the reformed Buzzcocks career is now over twice as long as the original one it probably deserves more than a footnote.

However, it *is* less important (and has so far been less productive in terms of LPs) so I'll take the middle road and just chop it down a bit (or maybe a lot).

I've already cut out some stuff and will cut out some more. I have to do it gradually - erasing large chunks of one's work in a single go can be damaging to the ego.

As for Fast Cars - a top song. I infer from your choice that you must be something of a fan (as it's not one of their better-known tracks) in which case it's doubly good to have your comments on the entry. Correct me if I'm wrong but I also guess that 'Another Music in a Different Kitchen' is your favourite LP. You may have worked out from how much I go on about it that 'A Different Kind of Tension' is mine. What do you think of the newer stuff (assuming you've heard it)?

smiley - cat


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 9

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

I actually heard Fast Cars last night on the TV as background music for a doco on crash test dummies smiley - smiley

I'm old enough to have 'Another music...' on vinyl. I also had a good live album on CD (light blue cover) which had (almost) all their good songs. Unfortunately it was stolen years ago smiley - sadface

Haven't really heard the new stuff. I usually take the attitude that if they didn't come down to Australia in their prime, i'm not going to see them second time around when they need a bit more money...although i heard they put on a pretty good show.

Nothing wrong with splitting your entry into 2 but i will leave that to your discretion.

Cheers, Linus


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 10

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Now this is a mouthful of an entry! Any chance of cutting it down a bit, or better still, splitting into two?


Anyway, this is another beautiful and well-written review of a band's lifespan, and won't fail to make it into the Guide smiley - ok!

(However, there's one serious point, but I'll come to that later...)


A few minor niggles:

The 'NME' reference would need a footnote, please.

I didn't get the Sex shop thing. I know what that is smiley - smiley but, is there only one in London, or is that a proper name?

'Workers ... refused to handle the record...' -- did the record come along with a sample? smiley - laughsmiley - winkeye

When they made their comeback, had they abandoned the drugs, and was the 1999 performance the end ?


------------
Ahem, ...Ok, now for the big one.

I'm terribly sorry that I have to raise a serious issue. You really won't like it, and I beg you to not shoot the messenger. Please take a seat, as I have to fully and seriously object to a *severe* fault in your entry...

Elvis Presley is *not dead*. He will never die. For this reason we will *never* be allowed to quote him without violating the BBC copyright policy, as there won't ever be a 75 year timespan from the (non-existing) date of his death. smiley - winkeye


Bossel (Scout who sometimes likes to scare unsuspecting researchers smiley - winkeye )


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 11

Linus...42, i guess that makes me the answer...

Bossel

Re the sex shop, this refers to Malcolm Mclarens (in)famous clothing shop...


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 12

Ormondroyd

A great Entry on a wonderful band. I really can't fault it. It didn't seem too long to me, but then as far as I'm concerned you can never have too much Buzzcocks! smiley - ok


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 13

Orcus

Ditto. Same as Ormy, great stuff!

smiley - cheers


A570520 - Buzzcocks - The Band

Post 14

Catwoman

Thanks to everyone for all your comments. I hope I've sorted out all the niggles mentioned by Bossell (I've even taken care of the Elvis blooper) but haven't cut it down.

I sometimes wonder if it *is* too long, and have taken to removing or editing little bits every now and then, however, I can imagine people reading the first one and then wondering why they have to load a new page in order to continue. You might be right, though, and I'll continue to mull over the issue.

On a more technical/aesthetic note does anyone have any ideas for 'tarting' it up a bit. Pictures are an obvious choice but would probably be removed in the editing process. I'm also trying to put the poster (Sex Pistols, Slaughter and the Dogs, Buzzcocks) quote in the centre of the screen but can't find out how to do it.

Again, any suggestions gratefully received.

smiley - cat


Thread Moved

Post 15

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Buzzcocks - The Band'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Congratulations

Post 16

kabads

This entry has been recommended for entry in to the guide!


Congratulations

Post 17

Ormondroyd

smiley - ok Everybody's happy nowadays! smiley - biggrin


Congratulations

Post 18

Catwoman

Thank you, oh Friends of Mine for all your assistance. Now I certainly have a Harmony in my Head. (Shall we stop this now?)

smiley - cat


Congratulations

Post 19

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Discussion may still continue, there's no "closing" any more.

As to the centering: You could use the ... tag but this will center each line individually. Another possibility is to use *nested* .... (I mean, a pair of them, inside another pair. But that might not display well in all window sizes, and the SubEd could take it out again.


Congratulations

Post 20

Ormondroyd

I think Catwoman meant "Shall we stop quoting Buzzcocks song titles?", Bossel. But don't worry about it - I don't mind! smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post