A Conversation for Talking Point: The Beatles

Guys with guitars?

Post 1

FordsTowel

* With the 60s dead and buried, is it time to admit that they were just a bunch of guys with guitars?
- No, they were definitely more than that. They were influenced by many of those who came before, and had an impact on many that came after.

* Just a bunch of long-haired reprobates who contributed to the declining moral standards of the West?
- That too, perhaps, but not 'just'.

Or the best band ever, bar none?
- It depends on how you define 'best'.
~ Where they the most competent musicians?
~ Where they the best songwriters?
~ Where they the best vocalists?
~ Where they the most popular? Where they the most financially successful?
~ Did they have the most #1 or Top 10 singles, and/or albums?
~ Did they have the greatest impact on music?
~ Does their music endure more than others?
- Certainly they rate mention in these categories, but how would you weight their scores?

* Were you either too young, or too old, to care?
- I was about the right age, but I didn't really care. My sister used to play Beatles, Herman's Hermits, and other pop music that I tended to lump together under 'music my sister plays to drive dad insane'.

* Did you ever meet or even play with a Beatle?
- Close, but no.

* Do you subscribe to the 'favourite Beatle' theory. Or was their genius a combination of all four parts?
- So, now we're assuming that there is agreement on their genius? They did get quite good, and I've owned much of the Lennon/McCartney sheet music but only two albums and no singles. There earliest stuff was really pretty crappy, even if I may find a nostalgic fondness for it when it comes on the radio.

* Is there a Beatles song that you couldn't contemplate living without?
- As beautiful as some of it was, no. I think my problem is that they often got so metaphorical that the real meaning of the song was lost, and I'm into the meaning. Paint me a pretty musical picture, but tell me what it is for Bob's sake.

* How would they have sounded without Sir George Martin producing them?
- If he was in charge during the first couple of years, and the Beatles took the whole thing over later, Better. If he was there only after the first couple, Worse.

* Did you see them play live?
- Been to a venue where one was scheduled to perform, but didn't go in. I was there on other business.

* Is there a band which is cruelly underappreciated because the Beatles stole their limelight?
- Well, they don't hold a candle to 'The Ruttles'!

smiley - winkeye
smiley - towel


Key: Complain about this post

Guys with guitars?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more