A Conversation for Talking Point: The Beatles

Hey Jude

Post 1

Trout Montague

- Were you either too young, or too old, to care?

Too young I reckon. The first music I remember, as a child, was T.Rex, Slade and The Sweet.


- Did you ever meet or even play with a Beatle?

Yeah right. How about torment by solar magnification of ants?



- Do you subscribe to the 'favourite Beatle' theory. Or was their genius a combination of all four parts?

Paul's still the odd one. Couldn't tell George or Ringo from a bar of soap. I imagine that leaves John.



- Is there a Beatles song that you couldn't contemplate living without?

No. But Hey Jude walks it as their best work. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds second. After that it's all a bit beige. What else did they write




- How would they have sounded without Sir George Martin producing them?

What does this mean? Perhaps they'd have sounded like Kylie if Stock-Aitken-Waterman had been at the helm. Then again, they'd have been a load of Barry White if I'd been on the graphic equalizer desk.

But my colleague writes: "anyway what with one thing and another and George Martin's enormous ego being what it is making it available, once more, I splashed out and got the Beatles Mono Box Set...of course I didn't realise you had to order the bloody thing months ago as only 600 were being sent down under from Messrs EMI Hayes...luckily the Japanese were making their own and I scored one of theirs...authentic an' all...after all this time it's good to hear Sgt Peppers in Mono again...the vinyl I had would be worth an absolute motza nowadays - I think I sold it for food...bought the other three albums (Abbey Road, Yellow Submarine and Let It Be) to make the set but they are only in stereo..."

He sounds enthusiastic enough.



- Did you see them play live?

No. Sisters of Mercy was my first proper gig.




- Is there a band which is cruelly underappreciated because the Beatles stole their limelight?

The Monkees (notably also mis-spelled fauna) you mean? Or the Kinks?


Hey Jude

Post 2

GarudaJones

Thanks Trout
Indeed Hey Jude as to be one of my own faves, though as stated, I think I was born just the 'right' side of the 60s to rememeber them as part of my childhood. In fact I think as a child it was apparent how skilled they were at writing for all ages. Yellow Submarine is a simply wonderful children's song.smiley - smiley
GF


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more