A Conversation for How to Fail as a Pop Group

A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 1

Catwoman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A568820

I think the title says it all. Be warned, children - this tale does not have a happy ending.


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 2

Dr Hell

Is it twice in the PR?

Just one would do...

Greetings, H


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 3

Catwoman

Entry withdrawn. Please ignore. Major revison now in progress.


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 4

Back_Ache

I like it and don't think it needs changing at all!

NiceOne!


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 5

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

This is a smiley - monster of an entry, and sure enough stuff for two! I know there's a rework in progress: how about giving Furball their place in history by letting them have an entry of their own, and using excerpts in #2, the 'how to fail' entry?

Other that that, there's really not much to fail in the entry. It's well written, and I like the idea of a guide on how to *fail* smiley - smiley Others may rise concerns about the Writing Guidelines and the 'balance' part therein, therefore I'd suggest you set off the example of Furball against some other band which failed to fail at the respective step. And keep that humour of yours!

Minor points:
Edited entries will only have links to other *Edited* entries, and it suffices to link them once (eg, Manchester). BTW, [take a seat please smiley - biggrin) 'The Wedding Present' has just been recommend and its Edited version will receive a different A-number in the process. Keep the link and add a 'note to SubEd', telling them that it's in the 'recommended' state)

You could take out a few of the shorter footnotes and include them in the text (in brackets like these), but that's a question of individual preferences.

typo: Conclusion... 'critcal'



I'm waiting for the revision!

Bossel (Scout)


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 6

Catwoman

Thanks, Bossel, for your comments. I appreciate the fact that you've read it all the way through, not a small task.

The entry was originally written as a 'history' of Furball, but I felt it didn't contain enough to interest many people and probably didn't deserve an entry in its own right, hence the revisions (the original and the revised entry have the same A number you will have seen the reworking, which is now supposed to be finished.) All the stuff in bold about failing was meant to pep up the entry, rather than be self contained. If you really think I could get away with an entry devoted to Furball then I could undo a lot of the reworking.

I'm considering various options to do with the entry and shall think about your idea of splitting it into two, but could another solution be to just edit it down? I don't know, I'm in a quandry (or do I have a quandry - not sure of the usage). I think what I really need is someone to tell me exactly what to do. Sort my life out, as it were.

As for footnotes: I was dead against them to start with, but then I got 'into' them and have used them rather a lot. I reckon the balance is somewhere in between, so I'll follow your advice and re-insert some into the text.

Sorry if this is a bit rambling - I stopped for a drink on the way home from work.

smiley - cat


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 7

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

Hey it's /your/ entry, and I'm only throwing some halfpence or so. This is opinion like any other, the only difference being that it's /mine/ smiley - smiley :
IMH*O*:
- Reduce the non-bolded bits to the essential part, (people may ask 'who was Furball?)
- *use* the bits for another entry 'history of...', (people will find answers)
- in the 'fail' entry, add some examples of bands who succeeded in the respective sections

- have *two* nice entries smiley - smiley

Just a point about the GuideML: in order to set off the examples against the main flow, I'd recommend you use the tag which will indent the para which it encloses. Bolding whole paras looks a bit strange.

Bossel (Scout)


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 8

Catwoman

Thanks again, Bossel,

I hope you don't think I was rejecting what you said - I was just in a state of slight confusion about the entry. Humble though they may be, I *do* value your opinions because a) you've read the entry, and b) you're a scout and so theoretically know what you're talking about when it comes to guide entries.

I'm currently pondering what to do about the entry, though at the moment I'm inclined to do as you suggested (ie split it into two again) and see how they turn out, while keeping a copy of the current GuideML just in case.

smiley - cat


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 9

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

smiley - hug

Actually, I happen to be just another researcher around here, and didn't have to pass a test in order to get the Scouting badge. The only difference is I spend a lot of time around here - call it experience if you like smiley - smiley {plus, once a month I get three arrows to fire at entries which I like smiley - winkeye}

Personally, I like it from the beginning to the end as it stands, my idea was just that it's a huge bite for a casual reader, and you're pursuing two subject matters at once. The Furball description and discograpy deserve an entry of their own!


Bossel (Scout)

Oh, BTW, I see you made up another PR thread for this entry, at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48874&thread=122399 - tstststs, that's rather confusing matters around here. One thread per entry please smiley - smiley I'll have to send the other one to the Sinbin.


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 10

Catwoman

Umm, yeah. Actually there are three postings for Furball in PR. I posted one with the wrong URL and then a second one with the correct URL. Both of these were titled 'Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band'. Then I tried to withdraw the entries so I could do some major revisions but didn't know how to do so properly, so they stayed (this was a couple of weeks ago). When the revisions were finished the entry was rather different (including the title, which became 'Furball - The Band - A Case Study in Failure') so I posted it again.

If you're in a position to sort out my mess I'd be really grateful - can you move two threads into the third?

smiley - cat


A568820 - Furball or How to try and fail at being a successful band

Post 11

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

I can't *join* threads, and I guess this would confuse matters rather than sorting them smiley - smiley.

I only can ask the Powers to move threads around, from Peer Review to the Workshop, the Sin Bin or the entries that they refer to. It's kind of a sport of mine, obviously I've got two copies of that 'Germans-are-orderly' gene smiley - winkeye


Thread Moved

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'How to Fail as a Pop Group'.

Back to Entry - this became Edited Entries:
A593714 How to Fail as a Pop Group
A598818 Furball - the Band


Key: Complain about this post