Dutch - the Language Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Dutch - the Language

3 Conversations

Faculty of Science

The Netherlands: Introduction | Topography | Facts and Figures | Polders and Dykes | The Dutch National Anthem | Dutch - the Language | Dutch Pronunciation | Dutch Grammar | Handy Dutch Phrases | The Dutch | Transportation in the Netherlands

Dutch is a Germanic laguage. It has a lot in common with German but also has quite a few English words incorporated. It is spoken in the Netherlands but also in the north of Belgium. There, Dutch is called Flemish but both languages are mainly the same.

Letters

Dutch uses the Roman alphabet. It has one extra letter which is typed 'ij' but should actually be a 'y' with dots on the top - ΓΏ. Nowadays some people also write is as 'ij' but it is definitely not a combination of those two letters. If you were to look up 'ij' in a dictionary you would find it after 'ii' and before 'ik'.

Pronunciation

Dutch pronunciation is quite unlike English - see the Dutch Pronunciation Entry.

Grammar

Some parts of Dutch grammar are easy to master. Verbs and plurals are fairly simple. Other parts, such as article use, are difficult for non-native speakers, due to the fact that it is seemingly random! See the Dutch Grammar Entry for more details.

Handy Phrases

If you want to learn some handy Dutch phrases, have a look at this Entry.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A562646

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more