A Conversation for Washing Lines and Clothes Pegs

A543494 - Clothes Pegs

Post 1

You can call me TC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A543494

Yes folks - I'm serious!!!! I thought that if Sho could get an entry passed on rubber gloves, then clothes pegs weren't entirely without a chance. In fact, mainly it's about the romanticism and beauty of washing flapping on the line and how much nicer it is than an electric tumble dryer, not to mention the environmental side, as well as some tips on how to hang up washing.

Having au-paired in three countries and different households, and having a mother who was also very fussy about how to hang up washing, I have picked up lots of ideas and theories on the subject and in over 25 years as a housewife have probably spent several days standing at washing lines, thinking about life, the universe and clothes pegs, and smelling the fresh air on the washing. You can't beat it.


A543494 - Clothes Pegs

Post 2

xyroth

I wouldn't dream of criticising TC, but you get three quarters of the way through the article before you mention clothes pegs. As most of this is to do with washing, rather than pegs, a name change might be in order. smiley - smiley


A543494 - Clothes Pegs

Post 3

You can call me TC

Yes. I thought about that myself. Perhaps an additional bit. Couldn't think of anything pithy enough though. Am quite open to criticism!!


A543494 - Clothes Pegs

Post 4

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

For now, I would suggest changing it to something nice and simple like - 'Laundry', or even 'Doing the Laundry'. Then at least the title will be accurate, and if you think of something cute and pithy you can always change it later.

smiley - smiley
Mikey


A543494 - Clothes Pegs

Post 5

You can call me TC

I've changed it to "Washing Lines and Clothes Pegs". That puts things into perspective. Otherwise I can't think of much more to add, although I expect lots of other people will. I could write entries on washing and ironing, simply from years of housewifing, which would both be twice as long as this one if I included all I knew, and would all still come under the general heading "doing the laundry". In fact, it would be enough for a university project! (But I wouldn't like to offend the others who have put lots of research and thought into their University Projects, and will probably never dare to do that one!)


A543494 - Clothes Pegs

Post 6

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

I agree 'Doing the Laundry' would be a better title.

Although the intro could be somewhat shorter, a useful and comprehensive article smiley - ok


A543494 - Washing Lines and Clothes Pegs

Post 7

You can call me TC

I still think "Doing the laundry" is too general. (As explained in Post 5, above)

If I included everything about doing the laundry, it would be far too long. Also this part of the washerwoman's day is the most romantic and I wanted to bring that aspect in, too. Sorting darks from lights and measuring out washing powder, or ironing cuffs, are not half so picturesque.

Thank you for your comments. Let's see if a scout comes along, now.


A543494 - Washing Lines and Clothes Pegs

Post 8

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

Let's see if a Scout comes along ......

YES!!!

smiley - ok
You'll be glad to hear that your excellent entry has now gone into the Editorial Process for future inclusion in the Edited Guide. This means that the day will come when your Entry will be featured on the Front Page. Please keep in mind that the Sub-Editors are only humans (that's what I've been told smiley - winkeye) and that the Editorial process may take some time. You'll be informed by Email when your Entry has made it.

jbtw: I had it on my list of possible picks for quite a while, but my natural born male antipathy against the Entry's topic kept me from doing it. Otoh it would have been a shame to let it drown in the bowels of the Peer Review.

Well Done!!

Jeremy


Congratulations!

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they have not been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Washing Lines and Clothes Pegs

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more