A Conversation for Project: Sexual Orientation

A question Fragi?

Post 1

Demon Drawer

Have you mentioned anywhere anything about blood from men who have slept with men never being allowed to give blood, or their partners not being able to for the first 12 months after sexual contact has ended. Me and FC were turned down by the blood tranfusion servioce here on this premise and I was just wondering what the rules are elsewhere loke in the States for example. I think it is a important note to add to Going Back In, Homosexualtiy and Bi-sexuality at least.


A question Fragi?

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Demon Drawer, I didn't include anything about blood transfusions for two reasons.

1) This is a very general guide, and hardly covers medical issues at all
2) I'm not sure what the policies are here, much less worldwide

In America, the Red Cross sets the standards for blood donation. They was some furor earlier this year when they announced they would stop accepting donations from men who've slept with men basically for life. I think they have since reduced that to some period of years, but I'm not entirely sure.

Probably this information would be best covered in an article on AIDS, since this is the cause of the policy. Intravenous drug-users are also banned from giving blood for similar reasons.

I don't feel knowledgeable enough to cover AIDS, and I know the standards for medical entries must be higher due to legal ramifications for misinformation.


A question Fragi?

Post 3

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

I just want to comment that in Mexico homosexuals cannot donate blood. Something about being a 'high-risk' group.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more