A Very Good Margarita

1 Conversation


The Margarita, an unbeleivable drink.


There is some story about a bartender somewhere making the first one for some actress whose name was Margarita. The truth in this story remains to be proved. As a drink, there are hundreds of variations of how to make one, and some purists refuse anyway but their own.


The Traditional Recipe:


3 oz. Silver or Gold Tequila


1 oz. Triple Sec


2 oz. Lime Juice


Coarse Salt


Lime Wedge


Rim a large cocktail glass by rubbing the rim with the lime wedge and dipping it into a saucer of coarse salt. Combine remaining ingredients in a cocktail shaker with cracked ice. Shake well and strain into the chilled, salted cocktail glass.


(Sally Ann Berk, The New New York Bartender's Guide, Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers Inc. 1997)


This, however, is a personal version, and it's really quite wonderful, sweeter then normal, without such a harsh tequila taste.


Atomosphere:


Part of the experience is in your surroundings, so do your best. Ideally, you should be on a beach on the Gulf of Mexico, though any beach works, or no beach, if you're not near one. Now, clothing. Sandals, and boardshorts (a surfing bathing suit) for guys, and cutoff jean shorts and light button-down shirts for girls, are recomended by the origanal mixer of this version. Parkas and woolies, however can also be pulled-off (weather depending). Music is key. Most people will prescribe "Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffet. This is old and cliche. Here are two better reccomendations. The first, is a song called "Banditos" by the Refreshments. The other, is any song by the Buena Vista Social Club. Maybe burn a CD with both. Get this music going, and its time to mix.


Mixing the Magic Stuff:


Get out your blender (a totally necessary tool in Margarita making), and plug it in. You will now need one tin of Limeade concentrate (sold in your local supermarket, frozen), Tequila (Mexican hard liquor, made from the Agave plant), Triple Sec (a citrus liqueur, Cointreau or Curacao are fine substitutes), Grand Marnier (another orange liqueur, nothing really can substitue it in this recipe, but if you must, just go a little heavy on the Triple Sec), and Ice (a combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen, which is colder then zero degrees celsius). Garnishes will be dealt with later. Now then, empty the tin of concentrate into the blender. Fill the empty tin with tequila, and pour that in the blender. Now fill the tin half way with Triple Sec, and pour it in as well. Top up the blender with ice, then blend to desired consistency. Peices of ice the size of small ball-bearings (3 mm aproximately) are very palitable. Some people prefer bigger chunks, others prefer the ice to be melted. Pour into glasses (The traditional galsses are pleasant, but anything that holds liquid will do in a pinch) and pour in a dash of Grand Marnier. Now garnish them.


Some Garnishing Ideas


*Some people like to salt the rims of their glasses, some people do not. To do this; BEFORE you pour the drink, rub the rim of the glass with the pulpy side of a lime wedge, then dip the rim into a saucer filled with COARSE salt. Do not use table salt, that's just gross. There are some "margarita" salts out there, if you feel fancy.


*A wedge of lime on the rim sure looks nice. Very conveinent place to put it if you have just salted the rim with it.


*A little paper umbrella also looks pleasent, if you don't mind buying them.


*Another idea would be to light it on fire, don't worry, it will burn. This is a little dangerous, and it also burns the alcohol out of the drink, which is good for some people, and bad for others, you can be the judge. It will light by simply holding a match close to the surface, don't acctually put the match in it.


A Few Side Notes.


*Drink these in moderation. They have quite a high alcohol content, and will get you pissed rather quickly. Nobody likes the guy who pukes. Never drink these if you plan to drive.


*Don't drink them too fast, as they are ice and will give you brain freeze.


*Serving these with Mexican food is quite nice. Nice spicy tacos are highly recomended.


*If you serve them in real glass (as opposed to plastic), the condensation will freeze to the outside of the glass. An unbeleivably cool effect.


Raise one to me, and I'll raise one to you, cheers.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A538562

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more