A Conversation for April 22 - 28: TV Turnoff Week

My Parents are TV addicts!

Post 1

Willem

It's funny how things change isn't it ... first the kids depend on the parents and then the parents depend on the kids. My own parents are getting on in years now and it alarms me how much television they watch. My father spends many weekends watching sport on the telly for almost the entire day! He rarely even talks to me anymore. My folks don't really have active social lives. They know many people but very rarely go and visit any of them. They are getting lethargic, their moods and their outlooks aren't very positive and I think they should get out more, be more active, get involved in more things, and to do that they have to watch less television! It's difficult for me to encourage them though, because they think that there isn't a lot that they can do at their age.

As for myself I now watch extremely little tv - most days not at all; I sometimes watch music videos while I'm eating, because at that time there's not much else I can do, for instance if I read a book I often end up getting gunk on it which I don't like. But I very much prefer reading and interacting with actual people to television. By the way I love the internet, it is a two-way process and much more varied and democratic than any of the mass media!


Key: Complain about this post

My Parents are TV addicts!

More Conversations for April 22 - 28: TV Turnoff Week

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more