Goginan - A Short Guide

1 Conversation


According to the 'Book of Liff' by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd, a 'goginan' is the piece of adhesive tape found on a

near-sighted child's spectacles.


In fact Goginan is a small village bisected by the A44 and the Afon (River) Melindwr 7 miles east of Aberystwyth,

Ceredigion, Wales.


It has a population of 2,173 (according to the 2001 UK Census) comprising in the main, a mixture of agricultural workers, farmers,

commuters and artists.

FASCINATING FACTS


There is a pair of standing stones and pre-roman lead, silver and zinc mines. Not far from Hafodau Farm, there is an ancient fort and a tumulus or burial mound.

Goginan Silver Mine is recorded as working in 1620 and was developed

in 1840 closing in 1886.

Silver from this mine was used at a branch of the Royal Mint at Aberystwyth Castle for

which permission was granted by King Charles 1 in 1637.

THERE'S GOLD IN THEM THERE HILLS



But not a lot, the main centre for gold extraction is further north in Dolgellau, Snowdonia. You can however find iron pyrites (fools gold), white and rose quartz and lead and silver bearing ores.

PEOPLE

HUMPHREY OWEN

JONES
(1878 - 1912) was born in Goginan and attended the local school. He grew up to be a reknowned

chemist who discovered carbon monosylphide. He was also a noted mountaineer and was killed along with his new

wife on honeymoon in Switzerland.

Peter Davis (1944 - 1999) was a poet known as the Bard of Goginan, first chaired Bard at the National Youth

Eisteddford in 1966.


Seren Bell, an artist known for her pen and ink drawings of rare breed animals makes her home in Goginan.

Examples of her work can be seen in the Gallery Section of the Village

website
.

SOCIAL LIFE AND PASTIMES


Social life in the village centres around the only pub, the Druid, which has been awarded the 'Good Ale Award' by

CAMRA 3 times, the food provided by Lewis Johnson is excellent! Live bands play occasionally. Accomodation is available on a bed and breakfast basis at Arfon House next door.


The only part of Goginan that's really flat is the A44, the main route from the Midlands to Aberystwyth and consequently very busy these days. All terrain or mountain biking is great on the tracks that lead to the more remote farms but please be aware that many of the fields that border these tracks are not fenced and so livestock, mainly cattle and sheep also use the tracks. As for walking, that's the best way to get around if you don't know the area. The roads are mainly single track with passing places so be aware and face oncoming traffic. While there are not many designated footpaths, there are some spectacular walks.


One in particular is from the A44, just as you leave the village. Turn left opposite the old church up a very steep track. This takes you past some houses and then to a 'crossroads'. Turn left and you follow the old drovers road towards Ponterwyd, turn right and you will come to Llandadarn Fawr. Straight on leads through the farmyard belonging to Hafodau Farm, following the track you will climb up and on to a building that once was two cottages belonging to lead miners with a view over Cwm Rheidol. At this point it is best to stay on the track as there are unmarked adits (mine levels) that can be unstable. The track takes you past the mound which is all that remains of the old, possibly pre-Roman fort. After passing through another farmyard the track ends in the Rheidol valley. It is a great walk but not one for the fainthearted.

The primary language of the whole area is Welsh with some interesting, local, additions from the Cornish miners that moved to the area in the 18th century.


Further information about life in Goginan can be found in the book 'Once upon a time in Goginan' by Ceiriog Gwynne Evans.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A53236163

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more