A Conversation for The Myth Of 42 [(5-3+0+5) * (6+0) = 42]

why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 1

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

26 letters of the alphabet
10 the numbers
smiley - space3 the basic colours: blue - red - yellow
smiley - space3 the basic figures: square - triangle - circle

42 in total

you can make all things in life universe and everthing else!
any ideas?


I earlier posted in my journal 639?thread=63998" >F64198?thread=831484&latest=1


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 2

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

You could say 3 the "fathomable" dimensions


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 3

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

I am not 100% sure about meanig of "fathomable". I am after all Dutch.

but dimensions is combination of numbers and figures..


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 4

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

ok, say 3 the basic dimensions, instead of shapes....


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 5

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

dimensions are form of shapes, but shapes are less complicated.....

I thought back to basics...




why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 6

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

smiley - erm...

without dimensions you couldn't have shapes...

There is another reason... something to do with frequencies of carbon... but I can't find any reference to it atm...


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 7

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

you must understand that all alpha (words) and beta (sciences) are human made with "4 hootoo elements" I mentioned in posting 1.

the - sign for example is in alpha is a min(us) and in beta a square but with left anf right shortened. (as you might see I am alpha!)

the early humans did not have modern names of shape as we have, but still saw it. that is back to basics I mean.


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 8

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

smiley - huh?

You know there is some thought that earlier Humans saw shapes, and, more particularly, colours differently than we do... For Instance there are lines in one of the great Greek poets (?) that descibes the sky as being a colour other than it could possibly be... (I think it might be Homer, but unsure - it was mentioned on QI once (a great program hosted by Stephen Fry, that if you haven't seen you should try and catch))...


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 9

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

of course they saw shapes I never said did not, but the naming is much later in time, when I talk about early humans I do not talk about Greek and Romans I mean even earlier, like the caveman.

IQ is an irritating quiz, because for a non English person (I am Dutch). I do not know when a joke begins and ends. my English is above avarage, even if I say so myself. I watched a few times not for knowlegde, but for the jokes.

your remark about Greeks better seeing colour is not the point here.

dimensions are formed by shapes (and for beta's with numbers).
a cube is made of 6 squares (with 90 degrees corners and each side is same length).


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 10

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

OK, I think its best if we agree to disagree here - because from my point of view dimensions make shapes possible - shapes don't make dimensions...

As far as the Greek thing goes smiley - erm I was just using it as an example of earlier humans seeing things differently than us...

The same article on the QI site says that the first three "colours" were actually Black, White and Red (or Dark, Light and Red) with Red ALWAYS being the third colour "invented". I do know what you mean about "basic" or Primary colours though - they can be combined to make ANY other colour...

(Oh, BTW for the article see here:http://www.qi.com/tvshow/article/?ID=1)

There are, of course other reasons for 42...
26 Letters, 12 hours on the dial of a clock, 4 seasons of the year

28 Days in a Lunar Month, 10 fingers, 4 limbs ...

OR...

28 Days in a Lunar Month, 2 Parts to the day (a.m. and p.m.), 12 Hours to each of those parts...

Etc...


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 11

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

firstly dimensions makes my idea of complicated....

the colours: blue - red - yellow
I mean that you can make any colour. absolutely nothing to do with the first colours!
....your mentioning the first colours is mixing our discussion about shapes and dimensions. the first colours I can NOT make more than a million other colours.

in the subject line I use the word "may". in my opinion "may" is an indication of a posible answer. I never said this the final 42 solution!

I have chosen the BASIC colours and the BASIC figures, because they are starting point to make more complicated colours and figures.

like I said before dimensions you need to be a beta person!


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 12

Potholer

The issue of primary colours is a debatable one.

Though it is possible to mix most colours using a combination of red, green & blue light, I'd personally lean to the view that there are 4 *mental* primary colours - red, green, blue, and yellow, resulting from a combination of the sensitivity ranges of retinal receptors with the operation of subsequent neural processing systems.

However, I'm not sure I've managed to explain my views well enough to cause other researchers to agree with me - a recent thread on the topic seemed to end up as largely a monologue, with what seemed to be quite a few puzzled people left by the wayside.


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 13

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

green is a mix of blue* and yellow*

* the primary colours

...I know tv screens use green "digits".


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 14

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

oh again some who takes more steps more than the basic view I had in mind!


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 15

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Sorry - I'm missing your point about Alpha and Beta people...

Primary colours... There is actually one colour you can't create with all 3 (whether it be Blue red and Yellow OR Red Green and Blue (what TVs use..) and that is either Black or White... (rather depends whether you are using coloured light, OR the pigments, as the two things work in different ways....)

For example: mix Red Green & Blue Light you get white (IIRC).

Mix Green and Blue Light you get yellow.

Mix Green and Blue PIGMENT - you get well, a sort of Turquoise...

Mix Yellow and Blue Pigment you get Green, etc...


Anyway....

PotHoler - check out my latest creation - SuDoK42 - A5250601 if you've got a spare few hours on your hands...


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 16

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

- alpha is languages related subjects
- beta is science related subjects.

did your teachers did not talk about alpha or beta subjects, before you went to universitiy?
you have to choose the right subjects for when you go to study in university. you are better off study languges if you are good at languages!






why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 17

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

not in those terms, no..

I guess you'd call me a Beta person then. Although I'm OK at Language (and mediocre at Languages), I'm pretty good at Science/Logic/Numerical type things...


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 18

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

may is it is Dutch thing since we atleast 2 weeks more school in a year


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 19

ITIWBS

Optical primaries, it depends on whether one is mixing light or pigment.

If it is pigment, then a mixture of yellow and blue yields green, which is a pigment secondary.

If it is light, then green is a primary and yellow is a mixture of green and red.

It has to do with the fact that there are no yellow sensitive receptors in the eye, only night vision (white) rods and red, green and blue sensitive cones with overlapping ranges of color sensitivity. When about equal numbers of red and green sensitive cones are being stimulated, this produces a 'perception' (as distinct from the color 'sensations' given above) of yellow.


why 42? may I found an answer!

Post 20

pheloxi | is it time to wear a hat? |

ITIWBS,

you make the basic idea to complicated, besides that I am talking about one of the teaching of the primary colours as art student. I am not art student, but my mother was art teacher. I picked up some. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RYB_color_model

I am also not looking what the eyes can do, because as you know that eyes are not always reliably. "colour-blind" and "eyewitness reports" to mention known to be unreliability.

the colour usage you talk about sounds more they used in "tv beams / pixels".


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more