A Conversation for Word Gymnastics!

Wheel of Fortune

Post 1

Roundley The Terminator

I've always wanted to be a competitor on the game show Wheel of Fortune (if you've missed it, don't sweat it). "Why?" most reasonable people would ask. "To play with the presenter's mind," I say.

Typically, when guessing a letter in the word or phrase, the contestant will say "'T' for 'Truck'". I'd like to be able to say things like: "'G' for 'gnosis'", "'P' as in 'Psychology'".

Your task, if interested, is to come up with a complete alphabet of words that do not reveal the initial letter in their pronounciation. I'll start with the easy ones:
D: Djibuti
G: Gnosis, or Gnome
H: Honour (depends on your schooling)
M: Mnemonic
P: Psychology

Others for these letters, or other letters are enthusiastically solicited.

Another interesting, but more limited, possibility is something like 'K' for 'Crisis', but I don't think it's likely to be as interesting.

:o)


Wheel of Fortune

Post 2

Sad, Mad or Bad? - I always wanted to be a dino, but alas, I'm just old.

K, as in knowledge


Wheel of Fortune

Post 3

Clelba

A, as in aesthetic
^. .^
= ' =


Wheel of Fortune

Post 4

Roundley The Terminator

Very nice!

Actually, in the rules of Wheel of Fortune you can't ask for vowels, so I hadn't thought about them.

:o)


Wheel of Fortune

Post 5

Clelba

good point...
^. .^
= ' =


Wheel of Fortune

Post 6

Sad, Mad or Bad? - I always wanted to be a dino, but alas, I'm just old.

You can when you solve the final puzzle. Or at least you can here. You get so many consonants and a vowel, don't you?


Wheel of Fortune

Post 7

Roundley The Terminator

Yep, actually I think so--I only ever watch it in the Gym (without sound!). I seem to recall vowels in the final round.

:o)


Wheel of Fortune

Post 8

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

H for Heir.....


Wheel of Fortune

Post 9

Tamara's another day

X for Xylophone.
With the alphabet itself there are some good examples.......
A for H*****
E for F
E for L
E for M
E for N
A for R
E for S
Y for U
D for W
E for X
W for Y

***** Note this one carefully. I REALLY hate it when people pronounce the letter H 'Haitch' !!!!!!


Wheel of Fortune

Post 10

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

L for Llandudno


Wheel of Fortune

Post 11

Not Really Acid

O as in Oedipus

T as in Tsunami




Wheel of Fortune

Post 12

Roundley The Terminator

Specially, like O as in Oedipus. I have a cat called Oedipus (because 'e d' Pus!) and I should have thought of that.

I also like the letters in the alphabet, that would really play with their minds--shame that so many of them are vowels, though.

:o)


Wheel of Fortune

Post 13

Roundley The Terminator

So, how does one pronouce "Llandudno"? -- it's obviously not Lan-dud-no.

:o)


Wheel of Fortune

Post 14

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Llandudno - is Chhhlandudno....

Tsunami - smiley - erm I've yet to hear that pronounced sunami - usually the T is pronounced - possibly incorrectly.... Or I could be just burbling (c.f. Brit Eng thread)...


Wheel of Fortune

Post 15

Platypus 2

Hi!

How about w as in write, or wren
c as in chesnut smiley - smiley


Wheel of Fortune

Post 16

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

How about c as in cedilla?


Wheel of Fortune

Post 17

Roundley The Terminator

My 2 bits worth:

With chestnut and cedilla, and (to a lesser extent) xylophone, they start with the conventional pronounciation of 'c' -- unless I'm missing something. Although the intent is correct, it just wouldn't play with the presenter's head enough, IMHO.

But good offerings anyway.

:o)


Wheel of Fortune

Post 18

Platypus 2

If you asked for x as in exclamation, would that play with his head enough?

I guess p as in pharynx wouldn't pass muster, but k as in knot might?
smiley - smiley


Wheel of Fortune

Post 19

Platypus 2

smiley - ermme again

P as in pneumonia, or p as in pteradactyl
Y as in Yvette smiley - smiley


Wheel of Fortune

Post 20

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Cedilla - pronounced Saidilla?

I guess playing with head wise you could say

S as in Cedilla?

(OR S as in Antidisestablishmentarianism)smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more