A Conversation for h2g2 FAQ: Moderation

can you lot

Post 1

AWOL No1..8 weeks on h2g2 1 weeks barring,,wierd people run h2g2 :o)

Can you lot speed up when i send a msg out..Only its just not on 15 hours or more 4 the mod team.2 check over 1 of my post b4 it gets posted...tut tut tut ..and im tryin to keep up with chat..smiley - biggrin
If you worked 4 me im sorry but you'd all be out of a job..smiley - whistle
Come 2 think of it ne jobs up 4 grabs..smiley - biggrin

smiley - peacedove


can you lot

Post 2

Tango

h2g2 isn't actively moderated. Posts are only checked by the mods if someone clicks the complaints button. Even in the days when every h2g2 post was checked, they were still posted immeadiatly, and just removed later if not suitable. The only reason your posts would not be appearing straight away is if you were on "Pre-moderation" which is what happens to people who have repeatedly broken the house rules, and means their posts only appear after they have been checked by a moderator, if that is the case, then you are in no position to complain, considering you brought it on yourself, if that is not the case then you must be very confused, because what you describe can't happen in any other way on h2g2.

BTW, i can see your post after 3 hours, the usual time for moderation is 1 hour, so i think 15 hours is probably not the mods being slow, but something else. Is it just your posts that are not appearing?

Tango


can you lot

Post 3

Mina

Thanks Tango. smiley - ok


can you lot

Post 4

Tango

I was hoping an italic would come along and confirm whether or not this researcher is being pre-moded...

Tango


can you lot

Post 5

Mina

We don't discuss individual Moderation decisions on site Tango.


can you lot

Post 6

Tango

I'm not asking for an individual moderation decision, i'm asking for an individuals moderation status, there is precedent for these things being discussed onsite when there has been some kind of confusion.

Tango


can you lot

Post 7

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Can I ask then whether this policy has been changed (revealing whether users are restricted/pre-modded) since you discussed whether U215500 was restricted and whether Hoovooloo was restricted/pre-modded?

spelugx


can you lot

Post 8

Mina

When we consider changing a Researcher's Moderation status, it becomes a Moderation decision, whatever we decide. Which is what I was referring to in my last Posting.

Have you got some links that I can check S'pe;lug:x, so that I know exactly what you are referring to when you mention Hoovooloo? Thanks.

The Bugfinders account problems were discussed on site because it was not a decision that the h2g2 Editors had taken, and so we did not consider it an h2g2 Moderation decision. It turned out to be a bug.


can you lot

Post 9

Tango

A 15 hour moderation decision sounds like a bug too, hence my asking.

Tango


can you lot

Post 10

AWOL No1..8 weeks on h2g2 1 weeks barring,,wierd people run h2g2 :o)

Yeah 15 hours l8a the msg i posted came up ..Because i took note.. Still tho if your system int up 2 scratch why not changr it smiley - whistle and another thing while im ere,,is there n e point in you guys fighting over somethin i said..lol
I DONT THINK SO smiley - biggrin take a chill pill just go with the flow i do.
Hey by the thanks 4 gettin back 2 me so quick,,(even if it was 4 hours l8a) no im not watchin the time smiley - whistle plus you lot never did answer my other question about ..settin me on as a mod,,lol,,Hey i understand if you think im not worth a place on your team,,lol,,but ide make a great team leader,,think about it,,YOU mods could call me Mr COOL,,lol,,, catch ya soon mi new found friends,,

smiley - peacedove


Hidden

Post 11

Tango

Ok, so we can confirm that the researcher in question is indeed on pre-moderation. Now it is just the 15 hour bit that needs working out.

Tango


Hidden

Post 12

Mina

smiley - smiley It's possible that the Posting in question was referred to the Community team, and the change of message wasn't noticed.

Researcher 225412, the Moderators work for an external company, so you'd have to keep your eye out for job vaccancies in the press. smiley - ok


Hidden

Post 13

Tango

Yeah, that makes sense, Mina. Although, 15 hours is a long time for an italic to make a decision, unless it was a weekend or something. Aren't moderation decisions prioritised above the other work you guys do?

Tango


Hidden

Post 14

Mina

Yes they are, but we only work office hours. It's possible that something could be referred as we leave the office, so a 15 hour wait could be possible.


Hidden

Post 15

Tango

Hmmm... yeah, so i guess 15 hours is about the maxium during weekdays then. Weekends seem to be a problem... I guess there isn't really a way round it, unless an italic is "on-call" over the weekend, but i doubt the BBC want's to pay you the extra money, and i doubt you want the extra work, so people will just have to wait...

Tango


Hidden

Post 16

AWOL No1..8 weeks on h2g2 1 weeks barring,,wierd people run h2g2 :o)

Oright guys smiley - biggrin

What about if you guys call off the big guns aka ( Pre-moderation team ) ,,and i'll let the 15 hour msg thing drop,,smiley - whistle

Hey im a reasonable guy smiley - biggrin

You have my word as a fellow user.. and yeah im a man of my word 2 believe or not.. lets face in we dont want ne of this convo goin into main chat do we now,,lol..

So hows about it,,ok ok i'll lose the tags that i put at the end of my name.. smiley - ok,,
Hey drinks innit 4 you smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - ale
if not tho,,im not gunna tell you what ive put in the drinks smiley - tongueoutsmiley - biggrin

smiley - peacedove


Hidden

Post 17

Rho

There again, if a post was clearly not against any reasonable person's interpretation of the <./>HouseRules</.>, it's unlikely that it would be referred in the first place. smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ


Hidden

Post 18

SEF

One might hope not. However, that makes a big assumption about the reasonableness of the moderators. The message boards are a prime example of where the moderators seem completely incapable of following the house rules - which includes board remit. Even the board host has commented on the problem at times and so apparently has an ex-moderator (about certain others).


Hidden

Post 19

Rho

Luckily, I'd say that h2g2's Moderators were certainly reasonable people. It seems to be very rare for any post that, at least in my opinion, clearly doesn't break the House Rules to be hidden or referred.

RhoMuNuQ


Hidden

Post 20

SEF

Oops - I should have said _a_ board host. I can only think of one right now but some people I know may remember which of the others have.


Key: Complain about this post