A Conversation for h2g2 FAQ: Moderation

Commercial messages

Post 1

Privateer

..This might seem odd ,as i am appearantly the only one who´s had the experience?
Anyhoo :When i have visited Pandoras "Scuba-diving" entry, a "WhenU" message finds it´s way to my link-bar. Everytime.
It is an invitation to make some alledgedly cool bargains on divers equipment, from a U.S.company called Scuba.Com.
The add unfolds when i log off.

As i haven´t seen this kind of merchant activity anywhere else on the h2g2, and as the B.A.T. suggested that i tipped you of, well,..smiley - yikes
Now you Know.
Do you think it´s terminal,Dr.?

smiley - peacesignA.D.


Commercial messages

Post 2

Mina

smiley - erm This is a new one for me. Have you got the A number of the entry so I can have a look?


Commercial messages

Post 3

Privateer

Hi Mina, sorry to keep you waiting, but,Hmm, i hate to admit to ignorancesmiley - huh but i dont quite now how to retrieve that particular information ..
It is
thread=108383&skib
i think..If that makes it any easier for u?

If that does´nt enlighten you, it is ,as i mentioned, the
SCUBA-DIVING entry
on PANDORA- Born Again Tart
´s personal space

..smiley - erm


Commercial messages

Post 4

Ottox

F65844?thread=117380

But... erm... don't know what to say. It can't really have anything to do with h2g2, I think? smiley - erm


Commercial messages

Post 5

Rho

Hi!

Does this happen when you view one of Pandora's h2g2 entries, on her personal space (U171729), when you view one of her journal entries, (such as <./>F65844?thread=117380</.&gtsmiley - winkeye or when you visit a non-h2g2 site that she linked to? smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ


Commercial messages

Post 6

Rho

Simulpost! smiley - laugh


Commercial messages

Post 7

Tango

It seems to be F65844?thread=117380 he is talking about, judging by post 20 on that journal. I can't see anything strange about that journal, so i think it must be something at your end. Do you have any free software running in the background (eg. virus scanners)? These things sometimes pay their way with pop-up adds. I think it must be a coincidence that it appears when you view that journal.

Tango


Commercial messages

Post 8

OwlofDoom

It sounds like you have some Adware (like that which Tango is talking about) which is targetting the text of pages it spots - Internet Explorer allows nasty software like this to be installed so easily behind your back.

The best way to get rid of this sort of stuff is to download a program called Ad-Aware (go to and click on one of the links below "Full Install" to download and install the program), or to use another browser instead of Internet Explorer.

~ smiley - towel


Commercial messages

Post 9

Tango

Yes, indeed, that is the solution, i should have mentioned that... oops.

Tango


Commercial messages

Post 10

Privateer

Okie-Dokie, So it is just me(..as usualsmiley - erm)
the pc im using is located at my school, it´s one of 20 linked up and used by 26 diff. students, and all sorts of weeeird s**t is accessed and viewed from here(by my fellow studentssmiley - whistleofcourse)
.. I´ll forward your kind advice to the administrator, since i do not have the passwords that allows me to create a serious system-havoc on my own initiative ..(damn!)

Anyhow, thank u all.
And btw, now that i have your almost undivided attention(hehe..)
None of u mod.smiley - monsterguys speak spanish, do you?

"Me gato esta loco"
-my cat is crazy

"Mis zapatas esta mas calores"
-my shoes are very hot

See? once u get the hang of it it´s no big deal,really..smiley - winkeye
smiley - peacesignA.D.


Commercial messages

Post 11

OwlofDoom

No problem. smiley - ok

Yo soy un disco cabrado
Yo tengo chicle en cerabo

That means "I am a broken record, I have bubblegum in my brain." I only know it 'cos it appears in a song by Beck (mad singer-songwriter bloke).

~ smiley - towel


Commercial messages

Post 12

Mina

I found this - "By downloading the SaveNow software, you give permission to WhenU.com to display relevant contextual information and offers. The SaveNow software selects which ads and offers to display to individual users based on several factors, including: URLs associated with Web pages visited by the user, search terms typed by the user into search engines, HTML content of the Web pages viewed by the user and the local zip code of the user. "

So it's definitely something that has been installed on your pc. Good luck with removing it.


Commercial messages

Post 13

Rho

Also, on another page, "Save! cannot be uninstalled from your computer's Control Panel independently. In order to completely remove Save! from your computer, you must uninstall all of the Save!-supported software from your computer."

RhoMuNuQ


Commercial messages

Post 14

Privateer

..It sounds badsmiley - cry
Will it ever be ok again?

(-wipes tears away and nicks a bisquit)..
But if it has been `legaly` downloaded ,as a "parasite" part of some sort of software, the adm. gotta be in charge himself. And he´s not exactly a damn fool ..


Thanx again, matrix-detectives!
You been far more helpfull than i would have imagined.
(and initially, i actually thought that I was doing YOU folks a favorsmiley - silly)




Commercial messages

Post 15

OwlofDoom

That Ad-Aware thing I linked you to earlier should be able to remove it - it's a pretty good thing for nasty spyware removal.

At the end of the day, Internet Explorer is (intentionally) open and vulnerable to this kind of s**t ('scuse language) - the same reason that there's no option in IE to disable popup ads, despite it being a few lines of code on a Sunday afternoon for some programmer - Mozilla (and its derivatives) and Opera have had this option for YEARS now.

Personally, I don't use Windows _or_ Internet Explorer. The mere site of them turns me a funny shade of smiley - ill.

smiley - biggrin


Commercial messages

Post 16

Mina

You did us a favour by enabling us to help you. Group hug everyone!

Oh sorry, I forgot where I was.


Commercial messages

Post 17

Tango

Well, that's one problem sorted. Where do we go next? smiley - smiley We're getting good at this, aren't we? smiley - winkeye

Tango


Commercial messages

Post 18

Rho

*tiptoes quietly out of this thread*

I can see where this is going... smiley - yikes

RhoMuNuQ


Commercial messages

Post 19

OwlofDoom

Mina, your new name keeps making me think you're one of the Jims. Something to do with it being in italics and starting with J. Beware! smiley - winkeye


Commercial messages

Post 20

Mina

But I'm prettier than they are!


Key: Complain about this post