A Conversation for Marketing

Quick logic

Post 1

animated trenchcoat

Yes... very true.

Consider for a moment:

The goal of Marketing is to create Need in the consumer where Need was not present before... A 'Need' which is truely a desire, because people can live without whatever is being marketed... or it wouldn't need to be marketed.

Marketing considers You a consumer. (they consider everyone a consumer)

According to Budhist philosophy-religion, Desire is the root of pain.

Marketing is all pervasive in this society... it is everywhere. On underwear, on television, on radio, on the internet, on billboards, on the package of virtually every food item in your fridge, from Milk to Spam.

Therefore: Marketing causes You Pain, but You can't escape.

Marketing is at the root and heart of today's Capitalism

Conclusion: We need something different.

Proposal: Why not use 'Marketing' to convince people that they are happy and that they have all that they need... with the same Zeal that Coca-Cola puts into its products. While someone might logically 'know' that htey don't need Coke... they still know that they want it. It doesn't seem impossible that one could cause another to believe, and indeed be, happy through a sufficiently well crafted ad campaign.

Example: Huxley's _Brave_New_World_. While considered a distopia... I find it very appealing...

I hope you've enjoyed this little rant.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Marketing

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more