A Conversation for Stirling Engines

Writing Workshop: A5113388 - Stirling Engines

Post 1

IctoanAWEWawi

Entry: Stirling Engines - A5113388
Author: Ictoan S.H.A.D.O.W. Secretary - AWE - WAWi - U173821

Comments and advice welcome. I've done as much as I can see, so I need some fresh eyes on it!
Any comments welcome!


A5113388 - Stirling Engines

Post 2

Whisky

Haven't read it all yet but there's one thing that confused me a little...

The use of the word 'fluid'

Now, when I think of a fluid I think of liquid, not gas... so when you're talking about 'thermal expansion of a fluid' I find the phrase a little confusing.



A5113388 - Stirling Engines

Post 3

Whisky

Plus, any chance of some stats on just how much power one of these things can produce in comparison with an equivalent size/weight of Internal Combustion Engine?


A5113388 - Stirling Engines

Post 4

IctoanAWEWawi

Ah, right, fluid in the scientific/technical world includes both liquids and gases.

I'll add a footnote.

I should also mention a couple of reservations I have with the entry with the aim of finding other peoples opinions.

My reservations concern the 'how it works' bit. I think that the text explanation is too dense and technical and really needs some diagrams to help it.
I have linked a site with diagrams, but the problem with that is that all the places with diagrams have their own explanation. What is the point of writing an entry and then linking to another websites version? I might as well just have a link to the Wikipedia entry and be done with the rest of the text.

The existing links are to someones personal site. i guess they may not appreciate it. But, it does give the best description visually with the least text. If I link the wikipedia entry then you get the full article, which makes mine kinda redundant.

Or that's my feeling anyway. What do others think?


A5113388 - Stirling Engines

Post 5

IctoanAWEWawi

re: stats.

Yes, a good idea. Only problem is, since they aren'treally standardised there is no stable base for stats. In other words, each person or company producing one has their own way of doing things which is different to others.

I think the current most powerful commercial one is 6horse powerand the size of 2 oil drums. But a lot of others are rate in KW because what they are driving is a generator.

I shall have another look and see what I can find. I agree it would be beneficial to the entry.


A5113388 - Stirling Engines

Post 6

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Other Uses:

2nd Para.. "Striling"

Sorry I missed that earlier Icky.

lil xx


A5113388 - Stirling Engines

Post 7

Whisky

smiley - ok

I must admit for someone who's never ever heard of this type of device then the diagrams are a must...

It stops us old fogies giving up half way through because our imaginations can't keep up with your descriptions smiley - winkeye


A5113388 - Stirling Engines

Post 8

IctoanAWEWawi

Ah, that is what I was afeared of.

I may well cut and paste, or reference, your comment as a piccy is the way I want to go, preferably without referencing an outside site. I think the guide should be inclusive where possible, and having a link to someone elses description seems to me to be counter productive.
Now I just need another boring friday afternoon to fix the issues highlighted here!

Am still working on it, so any further comments welcome!


A5113388 - Stirling Engines

Post 9

Whisky

Go for it! I'm all for diagrams in the edited guide and if wingeing that this article needs them helps the system change then I'm all for it...

Especially as I've an entry I've been sat on for about 2 years now because it _really_ needs diagrams to explain it.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more