London Cabbies' Shelters

2 Conversations

Cabmen’s shelters.

One interesting, but often-overlooked, feature of the cabbies’ life is the Cabmen’s shelters! These were a major improvement to the cabbie’s working life. At that time they were operating Hackney and Hansom horse drawn carriages, which they were unable to leave, and the only means of sustenance and comfort was a Public House. To utilise this facility meant paying someone to watch the cab, as it was illegal to leave them unattended. It is also likely that cabbies could be in these establishments some time, and possibly the worse for wear, through imbibing alcohol! It is this researcher's recollection that the cabbie would have a lad who was employed for this purpose, as well as the carrying of cases and general menial jobs, although written evidence is hard to source.

The story is that Captain George Armstrong, a retired soldier and editor of the Globe newspaper, had need of a cab due to London's inclement weather doing it's worst. Although he could find plenty of cabs there were no drivers to be seen. He eventually found them enjoying each others' company in a Public House, in varying levels of intoxication. Now at this time The Temperance Society was at it's peak of its powers, and excessive intake of alcohol was frowned upon. In line with the Victorian ethos of Public service, he decided to do something about this and came up with the idea of dedicated shelters for cabbies' use, close to the cab ranks. With the assistance of the 7th Earl of Shaftesbury, and a few like-minded Philanthropists, the Cabmen’s Shelters Fund was created. The objective of the fund was to provide and run these shelters which would provide cab drivers with ‘good and wholesome refreshment at moderate prices.’ Between 1875 and 1914 around 60 of these shelters were built at £200 each. This would address both the problem of food and shelter and, more importantly to reduce the cabbies' temptation to alcohol.

There was a proviso laid down by the Metropolitan Police that, as these shelters were situated on the public highway, they could be no larger than a horse and cart. This gave them their characteristic style. They are of rectangular shape with dimensions described as '7 bays long, by 3 bays wide'. Windows are situated on the upper part of the walls in the second, fourth and sixth bay on the longest sides, except for the North wall which had a central entrance in the fourth bay instead of a window, and the middle bay on the narrowest. The roof was felt-clad, but is now more often tiled, and sloped. It is mounted with a square slatted ventilation structure on the roof not dissimilar to a dovecote, and painted a distinctive deep green. Inside is a working kitchen, with space for 10 - 13 seated drivers at tables. Some shelters would be decorated outside with hanging baskets of flowers and suchlike. Many would be furnished with books and newspapers, donated by benefactors and publishers. Despite certain rules, gambling, drinking and swearing also occurred. Beside their function as a cabbie’s cafe, they are very popular as a means of catching up with news, particularly where it appertained to their trade., such as closed roads, fires etc. There are 13 operational shelters in regular use today, still maintained by the Cabmen’s Shelter Fund, although this fund now has limited resources and is assisted by The Heritage of London Trust and other benefactors.

  • Chelsea Embankment - near Albert Bridge.
  • Embankment Place.
  • Grosvenor Gardens - West side of North garden.
  • Hanover Square - North of Central Gardens.
  • Kensington Park Road - Outside 8 - 10.
  • Kensington Road - North side.
  • Pont Street.
  • Russell Square - West Corner.
  • St George Square, Pimlico.
  • Temple Place.
  • Cromwell Gardens - opposite the Victoria and Albert Museum.
  • Warwick Avenue - Clifton Gardens.
  • Wellington Place - St John’s Wood.

If you have never seen one and are in the locality, pay a visit. If you ask politely you may be able to see inside, although as a non-Cabbie you are not allowed to enter. Some do have a facility where you can purchase a cup of tea!!!

It is hoped that this entry has given a little insight into these, often overlooked and very quaint, very Victorian and very English shelters on London streets.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A50594727

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more