A Conversation for Paula Yates (1960 - 2000) - Author and TV Presenter

Paula appraised!

Post 1

Tiger Lily

This is an exceptionally well-written and succinct appraisal of Paula's life. All the right details are included which is no mean feat given how eventful her life was - and how manipulative and inventive she could be over her public persona. She was a tireless self-publicist but even today, I still can't flick through a copy of "Hello!" or "OK!" without being disappointed she's not featured. In fact, "OK!" was a wannabe low-circulation pretender to "Hello!"'s crown until Paula defected to it and took her fans with her!

I liked so much about Paula, and particularly her style. I remember painting my house in bright colours after seeing pictures of her "lovely home" (with Hutchence) in Battersea. I also got into florals in a big way after seeing how she did up her mews in Notting Hill. (you will notice that my own h2g2 name is Tiger Lily, it's not in homage to Paula but I think being of the same generation that we shared the same youthful influences, Tiger Lily in Peter Pan and Tiger from Double Deckers (hey, is there an h2g2 entry on that programme?)

On her vital statistics, before Paula had Fifi she did boast of a 16-inch waist which was very possibly true. I remember when I worked on Just 17 in the mid-80s we ran a "design an outfit for Paula competition" to promote her new perfume. After the photo shoot the clothes came back to the office and they were the size of small dolls clothes. Most of the staff tried to get them on and couldn't get them past our knees!

It would have been interesting to see Paula growing old with style and it is very sad that she is no longer with us. It's encouraging to see the spirit of Paula manifesting itself in the precocious and beautiful Peaches!


Paula appraised!

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Thank you so much!smiley - biggrin There were a few derogatory comments when the entry was in Peer Review, but I refused to put them in the entry. I liked Paula a lot, I don't agree with everything she did but it was her life, and she lived it how she wanted to so good for her.

I agree with everything you say! I really miss her too, what a tragic loss. I have written an entry on Bob Geldof as well, and am currently writing about Michael Hutchence, so keep an eye out for thosesmiley - smiley The Hutchence entry I'm trying to make sexy 'cos I get the impression he was sex-on-a-sticksmiley - drool

Writing for the Guide sometimes you feel like Tigger - bouncing about and going off on tangents..I can't say I recall Double Deckers? But I'm a little older than you, I was born in '55, making me 50 nowsmiley - yikes

I've seen Peaches and I was struck by her resemblance (and mannerisms/attitude) to Paula, I've included a quote from Peaches in my Bob Geldof entry smiley - smiley

I can't wait to see what a beautiful woman Tiger Lily Yates-Hutchence will grow intosmiley - wow

Did you see the link to the picture of the Tiger Lily I posted (I think it was late last night) hopefully that will make the Edited Entry.

I will never ever forget the sight of Paula at Michael's funeral, with Tiger hooked on her hip, smiley - rosesmiley - rosesmiley - rose

I've been looking around for the "Best of Have I Got News For You" DVD (which features Paula) and I've just found out I won it with the only bid on eBay over the weekendsmiley - wow £2 plus P&P can't be badsmiley - winkeye I'm really looking forward to seeing that snippet again.

Thanks very much for your post, it's always good to get feedback smiley - ok

smiley - cheers
Annie aka Galaxy Babe
smiley - flyhi


Paula appraised!

Post 3

Tiger Lily

I'll check out your Bob Geldof entry.

Funnily enough I was watching a 'Best of INXS' prog on TV last night and was quite mesmorised watching Michael perform. He was a born performer and it will be interesting to see if Tiger has that trait. In 1988, there was one video - can't remember which song it was, where he really looked like Terence Trent Derby, with his hair tied back and given that Paula went for both I thought that was interesting.


Paula appraised!

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Yes, it was, and also Terence T-D played for INXS for a while...smiley - weird

I've finished my entry on Michael Hutchence and entered it into Peer Review: F48874?thread=877813&latest=1

You might find it interesting smiley - smiley

Thanks for your interest, it's always great to get feedbacksmiley - biggrin
smiley - cheerup
smiley - galaxy


Paula appraised!

Post 5

Tiger Lily

I will read it, look like it's generated a lot of response already tho'!

btw, was thinking the other day, if Paula was still with us, she'd be trying to go out with Pete Doherty!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more