Museum of Musical Instruments

0 Conversations

Museum of Musical Instruments (Brussels)

The Instrument of Musical Instruments in Brussels (Belgium) has existed for over a hundred years, but only recently it has moved into a magnificent new Art Nouveau building in the heart of Brussels, where it re-opened last year after extensive renovation work. The building is now housed in was designed by Paul Saintenoy, and was originally built to house the department store "Old England".

The building looks absolutely splendid, not only from the outside, but also from the inside, where the original look of the building, with its Art-Nouveau-styled exposed steel beams and elaborate flowery steel ornaments has been well integrated into a modern museum.

In the basement, there is a collection of 20th century instruments as well as mechanical instruments and a set of bells. On the ground floor, the visitor can see Belgian and European Folk Instruments as well as a collection of non-European instruments, some from as far afield as Tibet and China. The first floor is organised chronologically, guiding the visitors through instruments from antiquity to today, and the second floor houses keyboard and string instruments. All the exhibits are well presented, although sometimes the descriptions are a tad on the short side, and only available in French and Flemish.

Something which is very special about the Museum, however, is the way they present the sound of their instruments: Upon entrance you are issued with a pair of headphones which respond to infrared signals from emitters in the ceiling of the exhibit areas and let you listen to the sound of whatever instrument you are standing in front of. I found this to be a fantastic way of giving the visitor an idea of what the actual (often historical) instrument would have sounded like, while the person at the next exhibit can listen to another recording undisturbed.

The building itself is six stories high, and on the top floor there is a small restaurant which serves a limited selection of light foods. But you don't come here for the food, but for the view, which is absolutely stunning. On a clear day you can see for miles around, and get a view of the whole of the centre of Brussels.

Useful information:

Opening Hours:

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday: 9:30 - 17:00

Thursday: 9:30 - 20:00

Saturday, Sunday: 10:00 - 17:00


Closed on 1 January, 1 May, 1 and 11 November, 25 December

Entrance Fees:

Adults: 150 BF

Children (6-12): 50 BF

Students/Pensioners: 100 BF

Contact Details:

Musical Instruments Museum (MIM)

Rue Montagne de la Cour 2

B-1000 Brussels


Tel.: 02 545 0130

Fax.: 02 545 0178

Email: [email protected]
http://www.mim.fgov.be


Metro: Metro stop "Parc" or "Gare Centrale" (both on Line 1)

Bus: Bus numbers 20, 38, 60, 71, 95 or 96; bus stop "Royale"

Tram: Tram numbers 92, 93 or 94; tram stop "Royale"

Car Park: Congres-Albertine



- Frogstar smiley - planet

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A500013

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more