A Conversation for En Excursion to Medike, Soutpansberg Mountains, South Africa

Welcome!

Post 1

Websailor

smiley - applausesmiley - biggrin Hope to see some more in the future. You had a more relaxed style of writing in this piece which is probably easier for some people to read. smiley - smiley

Websailorsmiley - dragon



Welcome!

Post 2

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Yes, it's beautifully written smiley - applause


Thank you, Willem smiley - biggrin


Welcome!

Post 3

Willem

Hello Websailor and Lil! I'm so happy my piece made it into the Post! Thanks for reading all. I actually wrote this piece quite rapidly ... just sat down, let my memory go, and typed.

I might have another excursion soon ... we're planning for May to go to another reserve, called Moreson - "Morning Sun" - a bit to the north of Medike, to the north of the Soutpansberg. Drier and hotter climate, there are fine Baobab trees and other weird plants, and ought to be lots of birds and if we're lucky some other wildlife as well.


Welcome!

Post 4

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


I, for one, look forward to reading more smiley - ok


lil x


Welcome!

Post 5

Websailor

Me too, Willem smiley - applause Hope all goes well.

Websailor smiley - dragon


Welcome!

Post 6

Willem

Hey I may be going on another trip even sooner! I just heard of a few guys who are going on a hike in the Wolkberg mountains in early April and who said I could come along! These are beautiful mountains; very rugged; I don't know what part we'll be going to, yet. The more rugged parts are still 'natural' but the gentler slopes have in many cases been 'ruined': the original vegetation - grassland, woodland and forest - has been stripped off and replaced by tree monocultures. If I go I'll say something about this in the 'report'.

Much of the mountains are conserved in three large nature reserves: the Wolkberg Wilderness Area, the Lekgalemeetse Nature Reserve, and the Bewaarkloof Nature Reserve. I've been to each of these regions in the past, but many years ago. In the Bewaarkloof region I once was on the hunt with some other folks for specimens of a newly discovered species of insect, a kind of Lacewing. Was exciting! The insect diversity of this region is amazing. Plants too ... there are several species that grow only in those mountains.


Welcome!

Post 7

Willem

... Hey I'm sorry I let the topic 'drift' a bit from the piece I wrote! At any rate - the Soutpansberg Mountains, where Medike is, is just a tad to the north of the Wolkberg. There are 'unofficial' privately-owned nature reserves in the Soutpansberg ... Medike is, so far, the first such 'private reserve' I've been able to get into.


Welcome!

Post 8

Websailor

Looking forward to looking over your shoulder Willem smiley - biggrin Got to go and get lunch.

Websailor smiley - dragon


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for En Excursion to Medike, Soutpansberg Mountains, South Africa

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more