A Conversation for Suicide, Moral Considerations

Suicide...

Post 1

Haylle (Nyssabird) ? mg to recovery

thank you for an insightful entry. after my husband took his life, i read as much as i could on the subject, not really seeking to justify his actions, since I felt that unnecessary. i think i was seeking out at least one philosopher that at least considered the idea with an open mind. Hume, of course, ended up being one (which was nice, since I already appreciated much of his thinking). I also ran across the stoics, who, as you probably know, thought it was a human right to choose the time and manner of one's death.

'... Above all, remember that the door stands open. Do not be more fearful than children. But, just as when they are tired of the game they cry, "I will play no more," so too when you are in a similar situation, cry, "I will play no more" and depart. But if you stay, do not cry.
... Is there smoke in the room? If it is slight, I remain. If it is grievous, I quit it. For you must remember this and hold it fast, that the door stands open.' - Epictetus

*sigh*

thank you again


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more