A Conversation for German Licence Plates

A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 21

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Not from me, I think this is ready to go now? smiley - smiley


A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 22

Yelbakk

I think some hootoo links would be nice, but right now my mind is not really on the subject.


Oh, and thanks smiley - smiley


A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 23

You can call me TC

Entry: German License Plates - A47125974
Author: Yelbakk - U133566

Page turner (when are these things going to be automated?)


A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 24

You can call me TC

Sorry if the following sounds a bit terse - I've tried to keep the individual comments short because the whole post is quite long.

smiley - biro <> It's obvious what you mean, here, but it would be more correct to say that they plates are the same colour at the front and reard *of the car* - not of the plates!


smiley - biro <> Perhaps - though only perhaps - you could point out that all other European Union number plates now have this. Of the 27 countries, as far as I have seen, only the UK does not have the blue EU flag. (Ireland, anyone?)

smiley - biro <> Whoops - even the American spelling has a "u" in that!

smiley - biro <> Ditch the "of".

smiley - biro << Generally, the first letters designate the city where the car (and the driver) is from.>> Not the driver, the owner.

smiley - biro << Hamburg got the doulbe dose of H, HH. >> double

smiley - biro <> honour

smiley - biro << the Hanseatic leage, a union of merchant cities that dates as far back as the 13th century. >> League. If you like you can mention that this is comparable to the Cinque ports, but this is going off at rather a tangent.

smiley - biro << the HRO and HWI plates, taking the Hanseatic leage>> league.

smiley - biro <> separate.

smiley - biro <> Hmmm. Degree is spelt with an "e" - but I object to the implication that cars are only owned and registered by men! smiley - winkeye

smiley - biro <> ... begin with these letters.

smiley - biro <> Neighbouring.

smiley - biro << Offenbach (OF) are often accused of driving ohne Führerschein - without licence.>> To avoid confusion, perhaps you could say "without a driving license" as the word "License" is used in this entry for something else rather a lot.

smiley - biro <> As with the X

smiley - biro <> "tad" or "bit" but not both together.

smiley - biro << and should be taken serious.>> taken seriously.

smiley - biro <> carries

smiley - biro <> least

smiley - biro <> Less or lower taxes.

smiley - biro <> plates.

smiley - biro << you have to make sure that you use exactly that type of blades>> use exactly the same type of blade

smiley - biro << is not for the sqeamish.>> squeamish

smiley - biro << is often looked to for guidance in times of crises.>> In times of crisis.

smiley - biro <> registered.

smiley - biro << it was probably just discarded illegally years back and never officially unregistered. >> de-registered.




*Wipes hands and rolls down sleeves* There you go. Not much left for the subed to do now.


A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 25

Yelbakk

Wow, thanks, TC, for such a thorough examination. I learned a few things, including the fact that I cannot spell. Some of your corrections are hard to place, though, for example: "Whoops - even the American spelling has a "u" in that!" There is a "u" in what? In my browser (Firefox 3.6.17) on my computer (Linux Karmic Koala) in my skin (Pliny, is it?) there is nothing to indicate what misspelling you are referring to.

Anyway... I also noticed that some footnotes end in a ".", while some just sort of dangle unfullstopped. Or unperioded. Need to fix that, as well.

Y.


A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 26

You can call me TC

Um. I think the missing "u" was in fictitious.

And I forgot the "potatoe plates" - no "e" on potato!

I don't think you can't spell. Apart from the Americanisms, I thought the rest were just typos.


A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 27

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

The problem is that Pliny sees everything that you post between < thingies as smileys and if there is no smiley that fits to what you write between them it just leaves a blank space. This is why you can't see any of the things TC has written in Pliny.


A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 28

Yelbakk

Thanks, Tavaron,
that made looking for the typos a lot easier.

So - I fixed the mistakes from TC's list, added four internal links, but still think there could be more.

Y.


A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 29

You can call me TC

I've looked out that photo I was talking about. It shows a typical German family in the 50s with their Volkswagen. You can see most of the number plate. But these historical plates are not the subject of this entry, so I'm not sure if it's relevant. It has a little F and an R underneath it on the left, and then the numbers 11 4424. I think the FR means that they lived in the French zone.

A modern number plate would be more fitting, perhaps. Let me know if you're interested, though.

I often consult this site if I want to identify an obscure registration number:

http://www.autokennzeichen.info/

and here is a number plate (without car)

http://www.autokennzeichen.info/index.htm?lpc=HRO&x=27&y=17&reg=&subm=1

Also relevant - a site in English: http://www.autoplates.com/euromeanings.htm


A47125974 - German Licence Plates

Post 30

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Not to worry about the internal links, this can easily be sorted by the sub-editor.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 31

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 32

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Congratulations!

smiley - applause


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 33

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - applausesmiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 34

toybox

smiley - bubbly


Key: Complain about this post