Smudger Snippets

1 Conversation

I suppose it's because I have so much time on my hands these days, that all these memories come flooding back to me.

The Anniversary

I just received a note from our friends at The Post telling me that it was the ninth anniversary of The Post coming up soon. Has it really been all that time? Time really does fly past us and we never seem to notice it, until something like this happens, and you start to wonder where all the years went. For example way back in my younger days I was asked to be Godfather to one of my mate's children, and I was well chuffed to be asked to do it. The day went well, in fact it was just a year after we had my youngest daughter baptised, and it brought memories back to me of that day as well. So you can imagine just how old it made me feel, when that same wee lass who I had been Godfather to all those years ago, invited me to her wedding!

Where did all those years in between go, as I could remember when she was at the same school as my youngest daughter, and how they used to be the best of pals doing the things that kids of that age do as they grow older? I suppose I missed a few of the anniversaries over the years as I was working away from home, but even allowing for that, I still could not believe that I was now going to attend her wedding.

I never had the luxury of being involved in my own two daughters' lives, as after the divorce I was cut out of their lives, and no matter how much I tried to gain contact with them, there never was any reply. They may be married themselves by now, and have anniversaries of their own: I will never know.

Be that as it may, Mk2 and I recently celebrated our thirteenth wedding anniversary! We could not go out to have any kind of celebration as my wife is really ill just now, but we did get out our photo album and had a reminisce of our time together, which in itself was a pleasant experience. The only down side to this was the fact that three days after that I realised that I had lost my wedding ring! It must have slipped off my finger as due to all the weight I have lost recently it became slack and I had found it in my pocket a couple of times prior to losing it. I spent the whole day turning the house out looking for it, and searched everywhere I could think of, but to no avail. So it put a dampener on the proceedings. In fact I still keep looking with the vain hope that one day I will find it, I can only hope. My wife did suggest that we replace it, but it would never be the same really, it's really the sentimental value side of it all, as we have been through a lot together and through those tough years we became even closer.

Going back to the ninth anniversary of The Post, it is really quite an achievement and is due to all the dedicated hard work of the team who put it all together and kept it going all that time. At the same time as keeping all its readers entertained it has also saved me as well, as at the time they asked me to start entering a Snippet on a regular basis, I was going through a bad patch. Unbeknown to me I was suffering from anxiety and depression around that time, and never realised until I was sent for therapy by my doctor. I had to wait for about a year before this therapy could begin, and during that time writing for The Post really kept me going, as it gave me that challenge to keep writing and a deadline to work to, which really gave me something to concentrate on and kept me focused. So in a way I have a lot to thank The Post for and in fact I do, so well done to you all! May the next nine years bring prosperity to you all, and if you find a wedding ring anywhere, give me a shout as it might be mine.

Smudger Snippets Archive

Smudger

04.12.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A44179455

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more