A Conversation for Warhammer 40,000

Flea Market: A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 1

Callidus

This is my site: http://www.h2g2.com/A441325

There is currently nothing in the Edited Guide about Warhammer 40,000 (but a bit about other Games Workshop Games), so there should be. It is a very interesting game, and highly exciting when fighting it out on the battlefield. It is a well writen and informative Entry as well (even though I say so myself...).


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 2

Martin Harper

You asked for opinions (well, you didn't but this *is* the Peer Review...) so here goes... my background is just that I played the game (badly) for a while and painted a few miniatures (even worse).

My friends all abbreviated the name of the game to just '40K' - I'm not sure that WH40K is a universal abreviation...

Might be worth mentioning what you need to get started (that big box with loadsa stuff in it) and what you get for that, in rough terms - and current price... Also mention where you might play - with friends, in some sorta club, at events, etc. And other stuff you need - like a socking large table area, and plenty of cover.

The personal stuff (like your email addy) needs to be vaped. Third person only in the guide

Have you got any amusing anecdotes you could add? Myown favourite one is the time my Tyranid shooty-people(6 of them) took aim at two full rhinos - needed a 6 to hit (cos of the speed and distance), a 6 to hit the tracks, and a 6 to get through the armor, and a final 6 would blow up the rhino (everything else just immobilised or restricted movement - pretty useless at that stage).
My opponent laughed heavily at the stupidity of what I was doing - until, you guessed it, both his rhinos ended up upside down, and their inhabitants died a instant and rather gruesome death... though somehow I still managed to lose...

Another particularly amusing incident took place when we had a "really really deep lake" as part of our terrain. All was going fine for my opponent, until my GeneStealer Magus smacked my opponent's main character with a psychic power which caused him to be displaced D6" in a direction of my choosing. After careful consideration, I chose to displace the guy into the approximate center of this lake, and pointed out that in all the heavy armor the guy was wearing, he'd be sinking straight to the bottom - and certainly wasn't going to be taking any further part in the battle... I still have amusing pictures of the guy wandering around at the bottom of the lake (in his airtight terminator armour), waiting to be rescued by his buddies... I even managed to win that game... smiley - winkeye

Hmm - what else... you could mention roughly how many models are likely to be on each side, and how long the game is likely to take... just indications... You might also mention the spin-off games - Space Hulk and 40K Epic (and Gorka, I guess?) and I think there are other too. There was one about space marines inside a tyranid ship, if I recall correctly... Tyranid Attack?? Maybe... Have there been any computer games based on 40K?

You might as well link to the (inaccurate and evil smiley - winkeye ) entry on orcs when you mention their name - no harm could be done - and not *everyone* instantly knows what Orks are...

I love the start - the quote from the rulebook - I don't know what the copyright situation is - you might want to check that out - but it makes a great start to the entry. However - I did feel that the rest of your entry, reading in a similarly overenthusiastic fashion, seemed to be a bit over the top by the end - might want to concentrate more on the game itself, and less on hype.

Of course - if you wanted to go further, you could - talk about the backstory, the different races, a brief introduction to tactics, terrain, styles of player, etc, etc, etc - but I guess you have to know when to stop...


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 3

Mike A (snowblind)

WH40K is an accepted abbreviation of Warhammer 40,000. Looks better in print than just 40K: a tad fatter, y'see. That's what I think anyway.

This is great entry, and could do with the minimum cropping - just the mandatory point to comply with the guidlines - and having some stuff added to it. The quote makes about a third of the entry, man!

Which is where I come in smiley - winkeye. My own unEdited entry about WH40K - http://www.h2g2.com/A231878 which Callidus here has already rudely dissed. Still, there may be a few tricks you can pull from it, I dunno. My memory is terrible.
Then I have Edited entries on Necromunda http://www.h2g2.com/A295409 and Gorkamorka http://www.h2g2.com/A295391 is that helps.

Keep On Growing


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 4

Callidus

Me, rude? Never! Well, not very anyway. Usually.
Right, I'll do something about mt entry then. Here goes...


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 5

Callidus

Me, rude? Never! Well, not very anyway. Usually.
Right, I'll do something about my entry then. Here goes...


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 6

Mike A (snowblind)

Looks radically the same to me, I'm afraid. smiley - sadface


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 7

Martin Harper

Hmm.

Well, I made a few comments earlier, and they don't seem to have been acted on - nor have I received any indication as to why I'm completely and utterly wrong... smiley - winkeye

So, I suspect this entry would be best served by going to the workshop, as it seems to me that it is a work in progress. There it'll have a supportive environment for making the necessary changes before coming back to PR.


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 8

Inkwash

These comments are valid, but on the whole I too like the article.
Don't forget your internal links are now going to need to be redone and your page itself is now located at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A441325


Conversation Moved

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.


Warhammer 40K - Rescued

Post 10

The Apprentice

OK... gonna work on this one over at A1109440 - and will probably strip it down to nothing and work it back up from there. Here come the Necrons... the Tau... and everything else thats happened in the last 2 years...

The Apprentice
smiley - scientist


Warhammer 40K - Rescued

Post 11

Uncle Heavy [sic]

it needs lots and lots of lists. subheaders with each of the races, and a small paragraph to explain each of them. do not explain the rules, even briefly; the rulebook does that. give a little bit of background, a bit of history about editions, and who wrote it (i have read the first edition rulebook cover to cover if you need help with that). then give some background to the universe, perhaps talk a little in general about the ongoing story.

id be happy to help you write some of this; although i no longer play, i still subscribe to white dwarf, and my memory for facts and detaisl about the unoiverse is scarily exhaustive. i would be more than happy to do any of the background stuff. still, you picked it up, so its up to you smiley - smiley


Warhammer 40K - Rescued

Post 12

Uncle Heavy [sic]

also, i would LOVE to give this entry a once over with my anal grammar vision. i hate people who use brackets. hate hate hate HATE. and people who say ie. gah.


Warhammer 40K - Rescued

Post 13

Secretly Not Here Any More

I'd be willing to take this on, seeing as it's been languishing in the Flea Market.

Psyc.


Warhammer 40K - Rescued

Post 14

Bluebottle

The Apprentice developed this as: A1109440 Warhammer 40,000 - the Strategy Game although Callidus wasn't credited, and it didn't get far.
There are related Unedited entries here:
A791002 Races of Warhammer 40k
A231878 Warhammer 40,000
A674868 Warhammer 40000

Tav has started a Project on it here:
A87763369 Warhammer 40k - the tabletop game
A87767662 Warhammer 40k - The Imperium of Man
A87769444 Warhammer 40k - Ancient Races

It seems a very popular subject, so it is surely only a matter of time before a Warhammer 40K entry is in the Edited Guide.

<BB<


Warhammer 40K - Rescued

Post 15

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I'm doing my best to get this University Project finished, but it needs time as I have to read a lot for it.
I also want to update the current Entries about Warhammer Fantasy and Forgeworld.


Warhammer 40K - Rescued

Post 16

Secretly Not Here Any More

Let me know if you want any help.


Warhammer 40K - Rescued

Post 17

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Thanks, I'll need people to read it all once it's finished. At the moment I'm still busy reading Codexes. I have now reached Chaos, at least the introduction part of it. Already finished the general Entry, Imperium (Imperial Guards, Space Marines) and Ancient Races (Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons).


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 18

Bluebottle

Will you be using elements of either version of this entry:
A441325 - Warhammer 40,000
A1109440 - Warhammer 40,000 - the Strategy Game

in your Project? Obviously you do not have to.

If you do, then it would count as a Flea Market Rescue and as soon as your project reaches the front page this conversation can go Back to Entry.
If you don't, then as soon as your project reaches the front page this article would be superseded, and can therefore go Back to Entry.

Either way I think we should keep this in the Flea Market for now - with the proviso that while Tav is working on a project on this subject, this should not be rescued - and the instant that Tav's project reaches the Front Page this can go Back to Entry.

<BB<


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 19

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

I'm afraid I don't use any of it in my Entries. It just doesn't fit in.


I agree, leave if in the FM until I have finished the project... some time in the far away future. smiley - puff


A441325 - Warhammer 40,000

Post 20

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

My project about WH40k is now in PR.
You can find the first one here: A87763369

Please read and comment. smiley - winkeyesmiley - grovel


Key: Complain about this post