Sampling (music)

2 Conversations

Sampling is the process of recording a slice of music or other sound and recycling it into another audio production.

Sampled music has become increasingly popular in the last ten years and dominates the modern club scene. Fat Boy Slim is a famous example of a sampling maestro with the majority of his beats being sliced up reicarnations of older tunes (not that you would recognise them. Moby's album play is a fine example of sampling at its very best. It is chock full of old blues vocals brought up to date with modern synths and beats.

Some people may argue that sampling is theft and music should be original.

I would argue that sampling is as creative as playing an instrument and the sampler should be veiwed as an instrument in its own right.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A439094

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more