A Conversation for h2g2 FAQ: h2g2 On the Move

Alternative access to H2G2 on the move

Post 1

Wossname

You can also login via your normal ISP if you have a WAP phone that allows you to specify your service provider and home page independently. So, for example, if you have a Voda, BTCellnet, Orange or O2O account, you could set up your phone to dial up your freeuk, freeserve or whatever ISP, as long as it then directed itself to a WAP site (H2G2 on the move, Yahoo WAP etc).

It's just an alternative if you ever experience problems with access to your mobile operators WAP gateway (no names, no packdrill!).


Alternative access to H2G2 on the move

Post 2

Adam C-R

This is not quite true. You still need the IP address of a WAP gateway, and not all of these are accessible from other dial-ups. This is *not* the same as the Home Page in the settings.

Of the ones that we have listed, only BT Genie is accessible like this. The others cannot be seen across the internet and so cannot be seen from an alternative dial-up.


Alternative access to H2G2 on the move

Post 3

Wossname

Hi -
Yes of course this is true, sorry. But if you select an open WAP Gateway (such as WAPHQ), then you can still get independent access in. For example, I can access H2G2 OTM quite happily on my R380 through the Freeuk ISP, using the WAPHQ gateway. I would guess there will be a growing number of open gateways as the technology becomes more widely used.
Regards, Steve


Alternative access to H2G2 on the move

Post 4

Adam C-R

Great to hear you're having no trouble accessing h2g2... smiley - winkeye

Do you find that freeuk and WAPHQ offer greater reliability than some of the operators' dial-ups? And what does it end up costing you?

And can you post your setup (though obviously not your freeuk login...) so that other people can take advantage it?

Thanks!

Adam

(who has *totally* free internet at home via an ntl 0800 number and wishes this would work from a mobile...)


Alternative access to H2G2 on the move

Post 5

LwB

I subscribe to Omnisky (AT&T) for the Palm (using a Vx, tho they have modems for the III form-factor, too):
-That service has its own "OmniSky" browser, which very nicely displays regular HTML/WWW pages instead of WAP.
-You can view WAP pages from AvantGo, but AvantGo will also fairly well display regular HTML/WWW pages (altho they are not reformated like OmniSky does, so you have to scroll left & right to see the whole page, which can be a bother).
-You can view WAP pages even better with KBrowser (URL removed by moderator) -- at least when viewing mobile.h2g2.com, buttons look like buttons using KBrowser, but not when using AvantGo, and more buttons show up on the screen with KBrowser than with AvantGo.
-The best way to use a Palm browser, howver, would be for h2g2 to use "PQA" files -- they would allow the OmniSky browser or AvantGO to more easily access special PQA-ready pages (about half-way between regular HTML/WWW pages & WAP pages), and the AvantGo servers could even download content into the Palm for viewing offline...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more