A Conversation for Musicians Guild Membership Page
Jaithebassist Posted Jun 7, 2006
I've been a bassist for around nine years, though I can find my way around a guitar somewhat and I'll have a go at anything with strings. I play in a band with my younger brother on lead, my buddy joe on drums and our new singer Nayf.
I have quite a psychotic aversion to pop music (I live in England and, judging by the stuff in the charts, we have no shame), so any music I listen to, say, at work, gets slated for being wierd and heavy, though I'm the first to dissagree. Favorite stuff includes Primus and any of Les Claypool's bands, Frank Zappa, Pearl Jam, Farmers Market (alright, they're slightly strange) and most things that are well written and played on real instruments.
Can't say I need anything specific from you guys, just my name on the list, I guess. I'm something of a sparodic internet user, but H2G2 is always where I end up.
Kittybriton Posted Jun 7, 2006
Sorry, not anything about joining. But I went to the first page of this conversation without thinking and noticed that it mentioned "people who can help maintain the Musicians Guild pages".
I know a little about HTML, and have too much free(?) time.
What I really would like to know is: "How do I find the MG pages?", are they listed somewhere?
h2g2 Musicians Guild Posted Jun 8, 2006
Hello to Jaithebassist
Welcome to the Guild - you'll find our badge at A434648 for you to put on your personal space
h2g2 Musicians Guild Posted Jun 8, 2006
The guild pages are all linked from the main Guild space (U150368). The main ones are the front page itself, the members page and the directory of music-related Entries.
As for maintaining them, there are two of us looking after them at the moment, which seems to work fairly well, but if we find that we can't keep up with it, I'll bear you in mind
Kittybriton Posted Jun 8, 2006
Woohoooo! Keep me bare in your mind!! Bad bad bad MD!
Rigwoodie_Waldgrave Posted Jun 9, 2006
1. I play the 'cello. I've been playing for about eight years, and I think I'm fairly good. Nope, I don't sing. I've got a voice like a hatchet. I can carry a tune, though, if anyone will listen long enough!
2. I generally like classical music (though not what I deem "elevator music"). I am unabashedly biased -- my favourite musicians are Pablo Casals and Jacqueline Dupré. I love Bach, Prokofiev, and Vivaldi. I can't stand Mozart (probably a result of having to read 25 measures of boring quarter notes while the violinist gets the solo). I do like the Beatles and George Brassens, as well as some dancing tunes (Congress of Vienna, Pincushion Polka, a few others).
3. Um... a stuffed teddy bear? Failing that, interesting conversation and a chance to meet other musicians to talk about music with.
CoastGuardian - Master Sailor, Rebar Cutter Posted Jul 12, 2006
1. I play guitar, piano, harmonica, and I dabble with bass and mandolin. I sing and write my own music.
2. I thoroughly enjoy Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits), Bob Dylan, and most folk / blues-inspired rock n' roll.
3. I am looking for a place to chill, lay down a few riffs, and where no one will tell me to "keep it down!"
h2g2 Musicians Guild Posted Jul 20, 2006
Hello to Rigwoodie_Waldgrave and CoastGuardian
Welcome to the Guild, and sorry for the delay
You'll find the membership badge at A434648
janexxx Posted Jul 25, 2006
Hi I'm janexx
1.I play the violin
2.Into classical music, Shostakovich, Beethoven, long list! And Maxim Vengerov.
3.Can I be back desk of the seconds in the orchestra please
Would love to help but I know nothing about GuideML or HTML.
h2g2 Musicians Guild Posted Jul 27, 2006
Welcome to the MuGs - our membership badge can be found at A434648 for you to put on your personal space.
Kittybriton Posted Jul 27, 2006
Most Q.s about H2G2 (aka Hootoo) can be resolved here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/dontpanic
And a guide to GuideML can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/GuideML-Clinic
It's mostly pretty easy. The tags themselves become invisible, but they change the format of the text between them.
janexxx Posted Jul 27, 2006
Thanks. Hmmmm looks simple enough!
*goes to attempt to paste logo to personal space*
I play flute in my school concert band and flute ensemble, trombone in my school stage band and brass ensemble and piano for myself. I also sing in the school choir. I want to play every instrument there is, and grrrrr, I can't! I love all music that actually is music (meaning not that rap, hip-hop junk) and my favourite band is "The Cat Empire". Music is the language of us all!
h2g2 Musicians Guild Posted Aug 2, 2006
Welcome to the Guild - there's a membership badge at A434648 that you can now wear proudly on your Personal Space.
Have fun - and with all those instruments!
Kittybriton Posted Aug 2, 2006
Well said Jenny (about music being a language)! I am very fortunate in that the household includes a collection of recorders, fiddle, piano, "Harpolute" (needs strings replacing), harmonica, guitar, lute and hunting horn. All of which I claim to be able to play to some extent.
Do you write music? Dad was a composer and despite my best efforts I haven't been able to resist writing a few pieces. Aren't computers a wonderful invention?
Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo) Posted Aug 2, 2006
Computers are one of the best things that could have happened to music. Crivvens, you can record an album on a laptop now!
Ahhh, you're so lucky. My family is musically inclined but more to specialize in one instrument. I can play bits and pieces of lots of instruments like guitar, clarinet, drums, trumpet blah blah but flute, piano and trombone are the ones I've actually had lessons in.
jimone Posted Sep 20, 2006
I play guitar, bass, ukelele and flute. I have too many favourites and influences to list them here. At present I am in a band with ex-members of Deep Purple, Warhorse and Marmalade. We have a great singer who has two albums on release under the name of Basilica.
What do I want from the guild, just to hook up with like minded people who live for their music, no matter waht the genre.
Kittybriton Posted Sep 21, 2006
EEE-Yesssss! Another musician aboard! Welcome Jimone!
Turn Loose The Swans Posted Nov 13, 2006
Hello Musicians Guild.
I am a drummer with three years experience. Although I am currently endeavouring to concieve my first project; some form of atmospheric, soundtracky, post-rock group with other genres thrown in for good measure, my day is not complete without blasting away on my double pedal as is customary for death metal drummers.
I enjoy dark, cathartic music and try to keep an open mind, although my taste does centre around subgenres of metal.
Key: Complain about this post
- 1001: Jaithebassist (Jun 7, 2006)
- 1002: Kittybriton (Jun 7, 2006)
- 1003: h2g2 Musicians Guild (Jun 8, 2006)
- 1004: h2g2 Musicians Guild (Jun 8, 2006)
- 1005: Kittybriton (Jun 8, 2006)
- 1006: Rigwoodie_Waldgrave (Jun 9, 2006)
- 1007: CoastGuardian - Master Sailor, Rebar Cutter (Jul 12, 2006)
- 1008: h2g2 Musicians Guild (Jul 20, 2006)
- 1009: janexxx (Jul 25, 2006)
- 1010: h2g2 Musicians Guild (Jul 27, 2006)
- 1011: Kittybriton (Jul 27, 2006)
- 1012: janexxx (Jul 27, 2006)
- 1013: Captain Jenny Bonney, Terror of the High Seas, Sailer of Fine Ships and Connoisseur of Great Chocolate (Aug 2, 2006)
- 1014: h2g2 Musicians Guild (Aug 2, 2006)
- 1015: Kittybriton (Aug 2, 2006)
- 1016: Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo) (Aug 2, 2006)
- 1017: Captain Jenny Bonney, Terror of the High Seas, Sailer of Fine Ships and Connoisseur of Great Chocolate (Aug 14, 2006)
- 1018: jimone (Sep 20, 2006)
- 1019: Kittybriton (Sep 21, 2006)
- 1020: Turn Loose The Swans (Nov 13, 2006)