Public transport in Hamburg

0 Conversations

Public transport in Hamburg is as you might expect, very good and very punctual. A sign saying that the next train is in 4 minutes is usually accurate and delays are fortunately rare. Buses in Hamburg are generally less reliable, although on some routes they are so frequent (every 3 minutes) that they do compete with the trains. A fun way to travel in Hamburg is by ferry and many commuters use these along the length of the Elbe.


S-Bahn and a U-Bahn.

Terminology is a little confusing. U-Bahn is short for Unter-Bahn and suggests a subterranean rail system. This is partly correct and some of Hamburg's U-Bahn does pass underground. S-Bahn is short for Schnell-Bahn and would suggest a quick journey. Again this partly correct and it would seem that most of the S-Bahn is actually underground and most of the U-Bahn is on the surface.

Tickets can be purchased from a machine at every station. Luckily nearly all of the machines have multi-language options. The fare system is a little confusing with different bands but the most you will pay at time of writing is €2.60. That covers a journey across the whole of Hamburg and includes trains, buses and even ferries as long as they are part of your journey. The only exception to this is for certain so-called "Schnell-Buses" which incur an extra charge. A tourist may well be better off buying a day ticket or a weekend ticket.


Some interesting stations;

Jungfernstieg

Possibly the largest underground station in Germany, Jungfernstieg continues to baffle tourists on a daily basis. Being central and near many attractions it's a nice place to get off and see the beautiful Rathaus (town hall) and the Alster lake with it's fountain and boat trips. The only problem is that there are so many exits and connecting tunnels that somebody new to the city will invariably end up half a mile from the sights that they want to see. Signs are being improved.


Reeperbahn

This station on the S3 line can certainly be an experience at 6am on a Saturday morning. The station that serves Hamburg's red-light district and party quarter sees hoards of football fans, stag/hen parties and curious tourists at all hours. As you can imagine this is not the cleanest station in Hamburg.


Landungsbrucken

From here you can explore the city's harbour. The station's exit has a pretty good view itself and you can take a connecting ferry or take a trip on a harbour tour.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A43505228

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more