A Conversation for What is a Revolution?

A43331816 - What is a Revolution?

Post 61

h5ringer

Perhaps I can help. I think you may be getting two ideas mixed up. Marx expressed a theory of societal *evolution*, with 6 stages:

Stage 1: Primitivism, as typified by hunter-gatherer society. People make their own utensils, but everything else is collective; mutual co-operation

Stage 2: Slavery. First appearance of the concept of 'Means of Production', in this instance the land for agriculture. Essentially, the strong get stronger at the expense of the weak.

Stage 3: Feudalism. The strong get very strong, giving rise to kingship and land barons.

Stage 4: Capitalism. Kingship has declined, giving way to capital barons. Workers are paid fixed wages, with no share of the profits from the Means of Production.

Stage 5: Socialism. The Means of Production are directed for the general benefit of the many.

Stage 6: Communism, in which nations, social classes and property ownership, other than at a level similar to the first stage, disappear.

The other idea you be confusing with this is that of the stages of a post-revolutionary period, an idea that is not directly Marxian:

Stage 1: Often called the honeymoon period, a brief interregnum when the future seems bright

Stage 2: Moderate rule. Assumption of governmental control by the opposition to the previous government

Stage 3: Extremist rule. Assumption of control by radicals who feel that 'The Cause' has been let down by the Moderates, leading to a reign of terror

Stage 4: Exhaustion and return to normal. A synthesis of the better parts of the old and new regimes results.

Feel free to make what you will of this.

smiley - towel


A43331816 - What is a Revolution?

Post 62

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

smiley - headhurts i think i am going to just stick this in the flea market, i dont think i can finish it, someone who knows what they are doing can finish it for me. They might get more intrest in their thread. I have other projects i want to get on with, but dont want to until i am finished with this.

minismiley - mouse


A43331816 - What is a Revolution?

Post 63

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

one final atttempt at getting this noticed.

minismiley - mouse


A43331816 - What is a Revolution?

Post 64

UniMouse

This Entry has now been removed from peer review, i may return it at a later date, but i have other things to be getting on with. Thanks to all of you who gave me advice, hints and tips to improve it.

minismiley - mouse


A43331816 - What is a Revolution?

Post 65

UniMouse

Hmm. I think i put this back in. But i really am not working on it, just bumping it so i can see if it is in PR. Maybe there is another thread somewhere.

minismiley - mouse


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more