A Conversation for Minox Spy Cameras

Other than spies...

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

Who else would have use of this camera?
I ask for information purposes only smiley - winkeye


Other than spies...

Post 2

a girl called Ben

Yo Duncan, I missed your posting. Sorry.

Well, I've now got two again, and I'm not a spy. One is a B (30 years old, silver coloured metal casing, mechanical, gorgeous but a little tempramental) and the other is an EX (5 or 10 years old, black plastic, electronic, takes good pics, though I haven't had any developed yet).

I have them because (1) they are as sexy as hell, particularly the B and (2) I can keep them in my handbag. Although I forgot to take pics at the only road accident I was ever involved in, I like to think that I can. The CX is only slightly bigger than a cigarette lighter, and easy to keep in a pocket. (One of my fears is putting one of them through the washing machine by mistake!) I do take pics in work or social situations, and I like to be able to take pics when I travel. Convenient AND sexy - a fairly bizzaire combination!

My cousin Lucy has one, which was given to her. I think it was another B, though it might have been a C. She liked it because it takes good photographs (she is much more experienced at using a Minox, than I am) and again she can have it with her at all times.

Apart from that, there are collectors. Some of them are into photography, and others are into spy-gadgetry.

Also private detectives.

And the luxury ones are used by the rich and famous. Chukie Embro (The Duke of Edinburgh) has a gold one, apparently.

I guess the real reason you don't see them is that they are not promoted as toys or fashion items, and very few places in the UK have Minox concessions. They are great though.

How's Dublin? I have a pal there at the moment, but I am not that likely to get out there. I've got a contract in Stockholm which is dark and wet, but not yet cold.

Ben


Other than spies...

Post 3

Junebug1701

I have several Minox cameras, and I'm not a spy, just a regular guy. There is always a Minox in my pocket along with my Swiss Army knife and my car keys. It is always at hand to capture life's unexpected moments such as the time a colorful hot air balloon landed across the street, or I see an unusual minivan shaped like a cat, or one of the kids does something cute. It's a fantastic little camera and a lot of fun to use. Check out my web site for more info:

[URL removed by Moderator]


Other than spies...

Post 4

a girl called Ben

Another Minox fan. Do you know somewhere reliable with a reasonably quick turnaround where I can get the films developed in the UK?

a spy called Ben


Other than spies...

Post 5

Junebug1701

I'm in the USA, so I send my color film to Minox Processing Labs in New York. I have heard that MS Hobbies in London does Minox processing, but I'm not sure if they do it themselves or send it off to Germany. As for black & white, I develop that myself in a closet I converted to a darkroom. Do a search for "Minox" on AltaVista or Google and you will be amazed at how many interesting sites you will find.


Other than spies...

Post 6

Junebug1701

One small quibble, Ben. Sean Connery did NOT use a Minox or any other camera in "You Only Live Twice." However, James Bond (George Lazenby) did use one in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." Marcus Brooks has set up a very interesting page showing various movies and TV shows where the Minox (and other subminis) have made an appearance. Many entries have screen captures:

[URL removed by moderator]


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more