Pyramid Schemes

2 Conversations

A Pyramid Scheme is in many ways like a chain letter. Someone will ask you to join the scheme by sending them a small amount of money (usually £1/$1). Once you have paid them you advertise the scheme yourself and everyone who you get to join sends you money. People usually advertise the scheme by email or in newsgroups and claim falsly to have made thousands of pounds. If you get one person to join you break even, if you get more people to join you make a profit.

At first Glance it may seem simple: everyone gets a handful of people to join and makes a nice profit. But all that money can't appear from nowhere.

Why doesn't it work?

The amount of money in the scheme is in total zero. Some people have positive amounts of money and some negative (i.e. they've paid but not got anyone to join so have lost money). The longer the scheme has been going the bigger it gets. In theory, As people get more than one other person to join it grows exponentially. Everyone has profits except the bottom rung that have paid but not signed up more people yet. So there are many more people who have lost money than gained.

Of course you can make money - but that depends on getting other people to join and give you money. This is very hard as most people will see through the scam. So to make money you must expend a lot of time and effort to get people to give you money. So a few people will work really hard and make some money (no doubt not nearly as much as they claim) and the rest will waste their money then not get any return.

The only person who is odds on to benefit is the person who started it all because he hasn't paid anyone to join. Because the starter is making a profit there is a negative amount of money in total between the other people in the scheme. So more money is lost than won by people who pay to join these schemes.

And if you still don't get it just trust me as a mathematician who's done a bit of probability. Like most types of gambling the risks outweigh the potential rewards. Its not worth wasting your time and money on it.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A419843

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more