A Conversation for Self-Injury

A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 21

~*}Black Angel{*~

Found a place to put the thing about countries without NHS


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 22

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Great! smiley - cheers


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 23

~*}Black Angel{*~

So.... now what?


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 24

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Well, we will wait around a bit to see if other people show up and have some comments. If they don't, I will prod Jimster (one of the editors) and ask him to come and look at it.

The process is a lot less formal here in the Update Forum than in Peer Review.

smiley - cheers
Mikey


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 25

~*}Black Angel{*~

found another couple of typos and grammer errors and a overcomplex sentence last night so corrected that smiley - ermsmiley - whistle


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 26

~*}Black Angel{*~

*whistles tunelessly while he waits* smiley - whistle


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 27

~*}Black Angel{*~

*breaks out the biscuits again*


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 28

~*}Black Angel{*~

*yawns and goes in search of an electric fan*


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 29

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

OK, while we wait for others to stop by, here are a few little things... Unlike with Peer Review, entries that go through the Update Forum aren't polished by a sub-editor, so it's important to take care of typos, grammar and spelling errors, etc, here.

"Self-injury is also common in developmentally disabled individuals, but what's happens here tends to be generally seen different than what is described in this entry."

should probably be

"Self-injury is also common in developmentally disabled individuals, but what happens there is generally seen as different than what is described in this entry."

In this paragraph here -- "Learn enough basic first aid to take care of your injuries. Chemists sell steri-strips, antiseptic, and bandages; and if you use a blade or sharp edge to cut with, make sure that it's clean. In countries without a national health care system, many private health insurance plans won't cover medical expenses for anything relating to self-injury."

I would probably add a bit more -- explaining that while there are reasons people will prefer to treat their injuries at home, there are some injuries that *must* receive professional medical attention.

This paragraph here seems to be a bit all over the place -- "Pills alone are not the answer- any kind of 'treatment' that just focuses on stopping the self-injury will most likely fail, unless it's backed up with giving you some positive alternative ways of coping too. Remember, some medications have side affects and not all work on everyone. Some have been known to make people feel worse, so be careful and if you think its not working make sure people know. However, they can help some people in learn new coping mechanisms, perhaps more for those whose self-injury is related to anxiety or depression. Counselling might help, especially as a large number of people who self injure have a past history of abuse of some sort. It's worth shopping around and persevering to find a counsellor you can work with, and prepare for a long haul. Cognitive-behavioural therapy is a specific type of counselling that has shown to be helpful with self-injury, especially perhaps as it focuses on learning and practicing new coping mechanisms."

It might help to split into two paragraphs -- like this:

Any treatment that only focuses on stopping the self-injury probably won't work in the long-term, even though it might help for a little while. Truly effective treatments need to involve helping people to recognize what feelings or experiences are 'triggering' the self-injury, and to learn new ways of coping that aren't self-destructive. Dealing with triggers and learning new coping mechanisms can be a very difficult process, and it can help tremendously to have a skilled counsellor you can trust to help you through this process. Cognitive-behavioural therapy is a specific type of counselling that has been shown tohelp self-injurers with learning and practicing new coping mechanisms.

In some cases, doctors will recommend medication as well. While medications like anti-depressants won't 'fix' the self-injuring, they can be helpful for some people who have symptoms of depression or anxiety that are triggering the self-injury. Sometimes it will be suggested that people try both a medication and counselling at the same time, as the medication can make the process of learning new coping mechanisms go more smoothly. It's good to remember, though, that any medication can have side effects and that most anti-depressants can take a few months to truly kick in. Also, just like medications for anything else, no one prescription will work for everyone - sometimes doctors will have to try more than one to find what will work the best for you.

smiley - 2cents
Mikey


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 30

~*}Black Angel{*~

ok *blinks at this a couple of times to take it in then goes to take a look*


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 31

LMScott

To avoid going round in ever increasing circles perhaps it is better to leave well alone, I for one understand the researcher very well and consider the information to be very well documented.

Where do we classify self mutilation for adornment purposes for instance, and is it necessary to do so.

In the 1960's I arrested a vicious thief on two separate occasions, his much flaunted ambition was to kill a policeman.

Every time that he was trapped in a property, he smashed a window and slashed his arms on the broken glass, then he always tried to cover everyone within reach with his blood, including police officers and the nursing staff at Ancoats Hospital who had to stitch him back together.

This man apparently felt no pain, yet when he realised that the police dog with the very large reputation amongst the Manchester criminals was not going to bite him safely on his arms, he was as easy to handle as a child. He even opened the door of my police-van and closed it behind him as he got into it.

A few months after I dealt with him for the second time, he plunged a carving knife into the back of the neck of a man because of a dispute regarding which channel should be on the television.

He was sentenced this time for murder, but he was at large again a couple of years later, this time he was murdered himself and someone dropped a large piece of concrete on his head.

The magistrates and dogooders who insist on repeatedly releasing such vicious persons into society are themselves a menace to law abiding citizens.

Cheers H.
smiley - biggrinsmiley - runsmiley - magic


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 32

Smij - Formerly Jimster

I'm subscribed to this Conversation, so just post back when you're ready for this to proceed (although the volume of convos I'm tracking, please don't be offended if I miss you first time).


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 33

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Content-wise, I think this is good to go. But the grammar and clarity issues really do need to be addressed -- if this entry was picked from Peer Review, it would go to a sub-editor who could handle all of that for you. Here in the Update Forum, however, the entries don't go through subs, so all of these issues need to be addressed here before the entry can go through to the front page.

smiley - cheers
Mikey


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 34

echomikeromeo

However, this is usually portrayed in terms such as 'sick' and 'disgusting', or the people as 'mentally ill'. --> However, it is usually portrayed as 'sick' and 'disgusting', and the people are suggested to be 'mentally ill'.

is self injury itself is not usually the problem --> is that self injury itself is not usually the problem


not usually the problem, it is a way --> not usually the problem. It is a way

It seems to remain a taboo subject, depending on the person this could be --> It seems to remain a taboo subject. Depending on the person, this could be

often lead to friends and family --> often leave friends and family

many different types actions --> many different types of actions OR many different actions

actions, everything from cutting --> actions: cutting, burning...

but what's happens here tends to be generally seen different than what is described in this entry. --> but what happens in those cases is generally seen to be different than that which is described in this entry.

founder of the National Self Harm Network puts it --> founder of the National Self Harm Network, puts it

a danger to others. Or to be 'mad' --> a danger to others, or to be 'mad'

the damage, the feelings are taken out --> the damage and the feelings are taken out

To widen the term you could include --> To widen the term, you could include

over or under eating --> over- or under-eating

when you cant seem to control --> when you can't seem to control

age 19 until she was 30 says --> age 19 until age 30, says

if you think its not working --> if you think it's not working

and most important of which --> and most important,

Whether or not it is attention seeking self injury is --> Whether or not it is attention-seeking, self injury is

----
Will this do? Also, take out the BBC Related Link - we don't do those in the body of the entry anymore; it's to do with the h2g2 Mobile release. You can put them in the tags at the end of the entry; the <./>GuideML-Clinic</.> will help you with that.

Also, maybe it's a bit late to be bringing this up, but should 'self-injury' be hyphenated? To me, it looks so much better that way.

Okay, there's your 'subbing job' on the entry. Do implement these suggestions!

smiley - dragon


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 35

~*}Black Angel{*~

sorry I let this slow down a bit, another home life crisis has been added to my pile. I'll do this as quick as I can, but I cant promise how quick that'll be


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 36

echomikeromeo

Oksmiley - ok. When you get around to it then.smiley - smiley

smiley - dragon


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 37

~*}Black Angel{*~

Too tired to start now, I'd create more typos not less


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 38

~*}Black Angel{*~

Honestly, I *will* get round to this *writes note to self about it*


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 39

~*}Black Angel{*~

hows that?


A4164888 - Self Injury

Post 40

Smij - Formerly Jimster

This is a fantastic entry. I only have two tiny comments and if you're okay with this as it is I can make the necessary changes as we accept this as the new version.

smiley - tea We can add a link to the entry on Coronation Street

smiley - tea We need to be very careful of the wording on areas where it might appear we're telling people how to injure themselves ratehr than just offering practical advise. For this reason, I think we should reword the sentence that reads: 'if you use a blade or sharp edge to cut with, make sure that it's clean'. This could so easily be misinterpreted if taken out of context. I'd like to suggest this is reworded: 'you should never use a blade or sharp edge to cut with that isn't clean.'

Other than those two items, I'd say this is ready to go. It moved me greatly when I was reading through it and I think it's a superb piece of writing - compassionate without being sensationalist. Well done!



Key: Complain about this post