Witters From Down Under

1 Conversation

Some photos, taken by Frenchbean to illustrate her column



Having moved from Scotland to Australia in 2005 to find out if she had fallen in love with the country as well as her husband a decade ago, she decided that the answer was 'yes' and intended to stay.


However life has always had a marvellous way of changing her best-laid plans. And it happened again. An unexpected work opportunity presented itself in mid-2008: one too good to miss.


As a result the Witter from Down Under is now coming from the land of the long white cloud - New Zealand.


Please join us and read Frenchbean's commentary on a new country, a new city, a new job and new friends.

Seven Ducks in a Row

Hello Everybody smiley - smiley

John Lennon was prophetic when he wrote "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." It has happened to me several times. Always when it's least expected a new shiny opportunity presents itself. Having witnessed the regret-free deaths of my father and husband, I took an oath to emulate them: I don't want to lie on my death bed with "what ifs" and "if onlies" on my lips.

So when a job advertisement appeared on my computer screen with my name written all over it, it seemed a minor matter that it was located in Christchurch, New Zealand. Six weeks later here I am; in a new country, a new city and about to start a new job.

They talk about stars aligning – or ducks in a row – and as one thing after another fell into place, I became convinced that this is a Good Move. Having decided on a Sunday to apply for permanent jobs, after weeks of sleepless nights and increasing anxiety about my income, the next morning I looked online and the first ad that I opened was in NZ.

Having chatted to the recruitment officer and sent off my application, then had an initial interview by phone, I was invited to fly to Chchch for a face-to-face encounter. In preparation for such an adventure I tidied myself up with a new warm pashmina and a haircut. My new hairdresser had just moved to Yandina from Christchurch and was able to fill me in on the city, the area, the Council and good places to eat (very important).

Notwithstanding two days of torrential rain and cloud so low that the country was entirely shrouded, I flew back to Queensland after the interview with some regrets: it felt as though I should have been staying in NZ. Therefore I was really delighted when the phone call came through to tell me I was preferred candidate, with only reference checks and aptitude tests to be completed in order for an offer of work to be made.

There were three sets of tests to complete.

The first was an Occupational Personality Questionnaire (similar to a Myers-Briggs analysis for those of you who have done that). It assessed 32 different dimensions of my personality including leadership, introversion, pragmatism, competitiveness, inclusiveness and creativeness. There were 108 pages to plough through, with four options on each page. I had to identify the one most like me and the one least like me – then move on.

One of the assessors ran through the resulting revelations with me. It was fascinatingly accurate. It is always slightly terrifying to imagine what I might inadvertently expose about myself during these types of test. Happily I can confidently report that I did not reveal myself to be a psychotic axe-murderer.

The Business Reasoning Test assessed my strategic and tactical reasoning abilities. There were some questions along the lines of:

If John has eight pears which cost him 7cents each and Henrietta has 29 apricots costing 43cents each, how many gobstoppers would Quentin need to buy an apple?

There were also visual reasoning exercises, such as spotting the right mirror-image, and identifying the correct odd picture out.

The latter reminded me of the first time I failed a test. I was four. The entrance exam for the Preparatory Dept of The Queens School in Chester included an exercise to spot the differences between two pictures. I missed several and I still recall the confused ignominy of having them pointed out to me afterwards and the feeling of bemused uselessness: I had no idea of the significance of the 'game' while I was doing it. My failure resulted in me going to another school. Fortunately Queens changed their minds 12 months later and I felt forgiven, although I spent the rest of my school-days there trying not to feel second best.

I got 100% this time by the way. So "Pah!" to Prep's stupid exam: I am second best no more. How interesting that a professional test 42 years later should bring back such a forceful memory.

And so I was offered and accepted the job.

In an extraordinary example of a small world full of coincidence, I have secured an inner city apartment, thanks entirely to my brother in England. A small trail of chance conversations and resulting communication between colleagues, friends and partners in England and Australia resulted in me renting a flat from a Kiwi living in Brisbane. I have it for three months, which is perfect because my belongings may take that long to arrive. It is fully furnished: fully furnished as in having a yoghurt-maker. So there was no need to struggle over the Tasman with enormous amounts of excess baggage - hurrah.

In fact I arrived to find it needed a thorough scrub and vacuum, which took the gloss off it a bit, but now that it's cleaned to my satisfaction I can relax.

The final fortnight in Australia was full of goodbyes and last visits to the beach, favourite pubs, cafes, markets and shops. The first week in New Zealand has been full of exploration, adventure and finding my bearings. Work starts this week, which is a shame: it will get in the way of enjoying myself.

Watch this space for news of this exciting new chapter. Ain't life great?

Witters from Down Under Archive

Frenchbean

25.09.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A41287034

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more