A Conversation for Talking Point: Dogs or Cats?

Cats or Dogs? (Neither)

Post 1

Smudger879n

Thats only my opinion mind you. I remember when I was growing up in our house we had both!. The smell and the mess they caused by no means justified their presence in the house.
In fact, ever since I left home I have never had a pet of any kind in the house. To my mind dogs belong outside in a kennel, not laying about the house smelling and messing up all the furnture with dog hairs and the like!
The fact that we can not have a pet, due to my wifes health, does not bother me, as neither of us wants to share our house with animals of any kind. I have no objection to other people owning them, as long as they understand that we do not want thier "messes" left in our garden, which is a point totally ignored by pet owners in our area. They do not even pick up their dog mess from the pavements! Leaving it there for us to walk onto, which I think is disgusting!
It is my no means the animals fault, but the owners should show a bit more respect and consideration for us folk that do not have animal petssmiley - erm


Cats or Dogs? (Neither)

Post 2

flyingtwinkle

i think cats to houses and dogs to persons


Cats or Dogs? (Neither)

Post 3

kcanis_lupus

I say BOTH.

I have shared my house and family with both cats and dogs and I like both. Each animal has their own personality and brings their own form of enjoyment to you.
Yes, dogs seem to be more affectioniate and cats more aloof, but I have known affectionate cats (but not really an aloof dog). I currently have a dog who is a retired guide dog and she does lie around all day making the house smelly, but you only have to see the pleasure she gets chasing her ball in the park to also get pleasure.
Cats are only playful when they're young but seeing a cat stretched out whilst you rub their tummy is a wonderful sight. When they're sleeping and you see their paws twitch as they dream is to realise that they are so content you wish you were a cat so that you can join in their contentment.smiley - smiley
Yes, cats and dogs in the household are a responsibility. But they are a joyous responsibility and contribute greatly to our quality of life.


Cats or Dogs? (Neither)

Post 4

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

Having had 4 cats in the past, and none now, I have to say that I prefer the current state of affairs. We have wrens and blue tits nesting in our roof now. They don't make a mess and cost very little to feed, and don't require trips to the vets. Obviously, if we'd had cats, we might as well have cut out the middle man and replaced the bird feeder with a bowl of cat food.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more