Oregon (History)

3 Conversations

INTRODUCTION:
Relative Location:
Oregon lies between the states Washington (N) and California & Nevada (S) on the Pacific Ocean, West of Idaho.

Geographical Location:
North Boundary: 46* NB
South Boundary: 42* NB
East Boundary: 117* WL
West Boundary: appr 124*15' WL

Capital: Salem
Biggest City: Portland (pop: 437,300) (greater Portland: 1.3 million people) It lays on the confluence of the Willamette River and the Columbia River
Oldest City: Astoria (founded in 1811)

Climatology:
The western 1/3 of the state gets a lot of rain (it practically rains from the beginning of October through the first half of June there). The eastern 2/3'rds are pretty dry on average.

Intro:
Oregon is an environmentally aware, productive and liberal state with about 3.3 million inhabitants. It's area covers a little over 97k square miles, which ranks it 10th in the nation (U.S.A.) Its elevation is anywhere between sea level (everywhere on the Pacific Coastline) up to 11,239 ft, which is the top of Mt. Hood.
For more information, go to http://www.traveloregon.com/

Oregon's nature is awesome. It has everything from the coast to the deserts. Oregon also has the deepest lake in the entire U.S., Crater Lake (which is also Oregon's only National Park). This lake was formed when Mt. Mazama collapsed, some 7000 years ago.

HISTORY:
Geologic History:
The geologic story of the Western Cascades begins around 40 million years ago with eruptions from a chain of volcanoes just east of the Eocene shoreline. At that time the coast ran northwest through the region of the Willamette Valley. Triggered by movement of enormous crustal plates, intense volcanic activity produced thick accumulation of lava and ash that build up the older Western Cascade volcanoes. Between eruptions, erosion, assisted by subtropical climates, stripped volcanic material from the slopes to redeposit it along the coastal plain and in the shallow near-shore waters of the ocean.
At the same time in the Western Cascades violent eruptions from composite cones active between 13 and 9 million years ago from the Sardine Formation.
About 5 million years ago the Western Cascades were tilted, which created a sloping ramp on the west side and a steep face on the east. This period of tilting and folding was followed by renewed outpourings of lavas throughout Oregon, accompanying the growth of the Western Cascades Volcanic arc. Even with a large volume of volcanic debris, the growth of the range was modest as the accumulation sank almost as fast as it piled up. Near the center of the range, major north trending faults and a pronounced McKenzie-Horse Creek fault to the east, mark the boundaries of the uplifted Western Cascade block.

Formations are designated specific areas based on plant fossils, differences in rock types and erosional breaks. The Cougar Reservoir Area is part of the Sardine Formation. The Sardine formation consists of andesite flows, tuffs and breccias and is on average 900 m (3,000 ft) thick.

For more details, go to http://geology.wr.usgs.gov/docs/stateinfo/OR.html

Human History:
2000 years ago, native people inhabited Oregon. There were 71 recognized tribes in Oregon (9 are still recognized). Some tribes had a big human impact on the western 1/3 of the state. Every other year or so they would burn down the Willamette Valley, so that a lush green grassy valley would remain, which was really good for growing Camas (their main staple) and easier to hunt the game which would live in the valley.
In 1811 John Jacob Astor, who worked for the Pacific Fur Company (which later merged with the Hudson Bay Company).
In 1842 the first Wagon Train arrived in Oregon City, and brought 150 people to Oregon. By 1850, Oregon housed 12,000 settlers.
In 1855 the government stopped giving away free land.
In 1859 Oregon became a state.

For more details, go to http://www.teleport.com/~garski/oregon_history1.htm

*** This entry will regularly be updated. Please check back. ***


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A404164

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more