THE MEANING OF "OCCULT"

0 Conversations

The word "occult" is a word to describe "the unseen" or the "hard to know" it comes from the Latin word "occultus" meaning "hidden" or "hidden knowledge" the word occult is not much different from the word "Paranormal" which is a word that means anything that has not yet been explained by science, for instance the idea that the earth was not the centre of the universe was considered "The Occult" just 5 hundred years or so ago by the church, and such a belief then might have got you burned at the stake.

The modern fashionable term "occult" is used a lot to slander others of different religious beliefs and backgrounds, by the ones using the word, its used to give someone’s beliefs or practices a evil, or sinister reputation. "The occult" in reality can be used to describe any practice of any religion, as religion, or god, or the after life, has not yet been proven by modern science.

The word "cult" doesn’t have any connection to the word "occult" cult means something that can be described as cult activity or cult control, meaning groups that seek to control others and gain members by promising them things such as "eternal bliss" "enlightenment" or "a ticket into heaven" if they believe in certain things that the cult leader tells them to believe in.

Most cults now a days, do not practice "the occult" as in magical rituals ect, but seem to be connected with forms of religious extremism like Christian and Islamic extremism, and eastern forms of mysticism.

Many religious fundamentalists today throw buzz words around like "CULT" to make others look bad, not knowing it is them in fact that are involved in cult like behaviours, but cant see it, because cult beliefs are strongly associated with brainwashing and extreme beliefs.

Any type of ritual be it Christian, Pagan, Catholic, Islamic, Jewish can be considered "occultism" but unfortunately people use the word today as a means of trying to make others look evil and sinister, as things like Hollywood movies and story books have given the word "occult" a evil light.

Witchcraft is often classed as the occult, which it is, but many mistake it as "devil worship" Witchcraft has its origins in ancient practices that stem back thousands of years, long before "The Devil" was even invented by the church. Real Pagans do not believe in Satan, as that is a Christain belief, not a Pagan one.

Saying the above though, anyone thinking of becoming involved in any type of occult practices be it Christian, Pagan or other wise, should do there home work first, and make a decision on whether its right for them, doing anything that is not completely understood or is still the unknown has its dangers, and should not be taken lightly, when it comes to witchcraft and paganism, its all good as long as you remember that love and light are the things you should live by. The moment you cross the line and harm others (including your self) is the moment you will start to harm your self, and walk a dark and dangerous path.

With anything in life what goes around will come around. When it comes to the occult, as long as you remember that no bodies free will should be manipulated, then your be fine.

I would suggest people not mess with things like Ouija, as it seems to be unpredictable, and has no rules on what or who might come though via it, or to what it might open up in the mind of the one using the Ouija board. Whether the damage is psychological or spiritual is debatable, but they are unpredictable so should be left alone.

Like just about anything in life, "The Occult" has a good and bad side, its what the user chooses to do with it that determines on whether it is a good or bad thing.

By Barry Stevens (Faeden)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A4033199

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more