Aspergers syndrome. As seen by some one who has it.

2 Conversations

Aspergers syndrome is almost a minor form of autism. The inherted mental conditon isn't really that serrious. I read the guide entry on this and decided it needed something from the point of view form some one who has it. I have it, and I'm sure a lot of you reading this have it too. Asperger's syndrome is a fairly common condtion. I'm not going to give you my life story or anything like that, But I am going to to tell you what it's like to have it. I Can't write. I can obviously type pretty well, and anyone who read my journal knows that I read half the Ultimate Hithchiker's guide to the Galaxy in two days, but put a pencil in my hand and it looks like a group of baby chicks walked through a pile of ground up graphite, and ecided to have a dance party on the page where my English homework is supposed to go. This often results in me having to do the work twice, which I belive is unfair, Or to do it on a laptop I have to carry around, which requies me to print it out later, which I almost always prompty forget to do. Then there's the fact that I never forget a name, it's just I can't remember the face it belongs to. You won't beleive how many times some one walks up to me and begins a coversation, that alomst always goes like this:
"Hey, Remember me?"
"Uh,..."
"You know, I was in all your classes last year."
Akward silence
"I sat next to you every day in every period."
"Um,..."
"I live across the street from you."
"No, I still don't know. Sorry."
"I come over every day to your house."
"Oh! Your (Insert name here)"
"No actually that's my twin."
"Oh. Sorry."
Afterwards I slowly walk away and have to go to the school therapist. And then there's the flapping. The flapping. Every time I get excited about some thing I'm reading or daydreaming about, theres alwayst the hand flapping and the "Brrrrrruuuuurrrrrsuaaaah" noise that makes me look like an idiot. And the worst thing is that half the time I don't even notice I'm doing it until The girl I just happen to have a crush on comes up and says " Hey, What are you doing?" And then I look down and I notice that my hands are doing their best impresson of two fish out of water to the sound trak of an alien with a speech impediment trying to scream the word "Brush" through my closed lips duirng an earthquake while spraying a fire hose. And I'll look look up and say " Nothing." and go see the said therapist or my mom, whichever's closer. And Don't even get me started on the bullies. I have to date been, trampled, shoved, had things thrown at me, teased, was screamed at from some guy sneaking up behind me while I was going to the media center, attacked in the bathroomm, chased, and for some reason I don't know about, been called " Weed man" even though I have never even seen weed in my life, nor ever want to. I do however a forced to take medicine. My curent one is a non stimulant ADD med, which strikes me as odd because we already established that I had AS. The weird thing about AS, is that there are no actual meds for it. I just get prescribed meds for some parts and hope for the best. And apparently all the meds do is make me lose what I just ate for dinner. Thats why I forget to take them. My brain is trying to avoid going hungry so it makes me skip it. Not all of AS is bad. When you have it you get really really good at something you like. That's why I can read the whole h2g2 series in three days. Also I can remember what I just read. That's why I'm "advanced" as the school system likes to call it. But the point is that I'm not that diffrent than you. So that's what it's like to have it. It's not really that different that not having it, if silghly more embarrsing.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4019690

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more